Yet another Morrisons thread

all new Phil
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 00.04
Location: Next door to Hell

Tue 03 Sep, 2019 13.45

Not sure if it still has them but the strange Morrisons trial store in Preston (that’s now just a relatively normal one) used to have odd checkouts that sound like the ones described, where your shopping went down one of two lanes to be packed once you’d paid. Each lane had its own conveyer belt that moved everything closer as you packed. Seem to remember the biggest awkwardness being not knowing how many bags you needed to pay for if you’d forgotten your own.
*ass
User avatar
tillyoshea
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun 23 Nov, 2003 14.34
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

Sat 07 Sep, 2019 11.03

Apropos of nothing, I thought this thread might enjoy this unusual sight I spotted earlier this week:

Image
User avatar
m-in-m
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 22.26
Location: West Suffolk/Cambs

Wed 11 Sep, 2019 13.53

The Gibraltar refit continues. They seem to have some new freezers and are working on the new pizza counter. The checkout, cafe and bar are untouched.
Whataday
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 00.08
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 21.00

WillPS wrote:
Mon 02 Sep, 2019 09.30
Pete wrote:
Sat 31 Aug, 2019 16.27
didn't Safeway have packing area dividers 25 years ago?
Iceland had them in the 90s for sure. I have a feeling Kwik Save or Food Giant might have too. Distinctly remember playing with them as a child.
I'm pretty sure Kwik Save didn't have them as their checkouts were really short so that the items went straight back in your trolley after they'd been scanned. You'd then have to go to a separate counter to pack your items into bags if needed.

They also used to charge for carrier bags too when it was unheard of, but they were strong-uns:

Image

I think Iceland had bright red dividers which is why you might be thinking of Kwik Save.

EDIT: This shows just how short the Kwik Save counters were:

Image
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 00.32

Whataday wrote:
Thu 12 Sep, 2019 21.00
WillPS wrote:
Mon 02 Sep, 2019 09.30
Pete wrote:
Sat 31 Aug, 2019 16.27
didn't Safeway have packing area dividers 25 years ago?
Iceland had them in the 90s for sure. I have a feeling Kwik Save or Food Giant might have too. Distinctly remember playing with them as a child.
I'm pretty sure Kwik Save didn't have them as their checkouts were really short so that the items went straight back in your trolley after they'd been scanned. You'd then have to go to a separate counter to pack your items into bags if needed.

They also used to charge for carrier bags too when it was unheard of, but they were strong-uns.
Not in the (ex-)Food Giant locations it wasn't. It also wasn't like that in the ones Somerfield did up.

I've got fond memories of both OG Kwik Saves and Food Giants. Somerfield chose to very quickly adopt the Kwik Save name across the Food Giant chain even though it was a very different beast. In Nottingham this lead to a legacy Kwik Save and a former Food Giant being open for a few months with the same branding, right next door to one another.

Interestingly Food Giant never charged for bags, even after they moved to the Kwik Save name and used their bags (the same ones or very similar to those pictured). Aldi, Lidl and Netto also charged for bags even back then too.
Image
User avatar
m-in-m
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 22.26
Location: West Suffolk/Cambs

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 14.52

m-in-m wrote:
Wed 11 Sep, 2019 13.53
The Gibraltar refit continues. They seem to have some new freezers and are working on the new pizza counter. The checkout, cafe and bar are untouched.
I noticed today a sign saying works will be completed by December.
User avatar
Pete
Posts: 7146
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 13.36
Location: Dundee

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 17.44

First of all, this talk of the Gibraltar Morrisons without photos is unacceptable. Get snapping. Especially with wide photos I can use for the header image.

Second - what exactly is the point of Iceland's "Food Warehouse"? It appears to be a branch of iceland except with higher prices and - oddly - 5 asiles which means you end up at the top of the shop rather than at the checkouts. I appreciate there is a non-morrisons thread but... 🤷🏼‍♂️
"He has to be larger than bacon"
JAS84
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10.23
Location: Hull, UK

Wed 18 Sep, 2019 00.01

It's supposed to have a bigger range, because the stores are bigger than standard Icelands. In practice I'm not convinced that's actually the case though.
all new Phil
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 00.04
Location: Next door to Hell

Wed 18 Sep, 2019 09.09

I went to the new one near me recently and ironically, given it’s name, the only thing I bought was some shampoo.

I’m not too sure how to say this respectfully, but it’s a bit ‘family with 5 kids who have ADHD’.
*ass
Whataday
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri 22 Aug, 2003 00.08
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Wed 18 Sep, 2019 12.23

JAS84 wrote:
Wed 18 Sep, 2019 00.01
It's supposed to have a bigger range, because the stores are bigger than standard Icelands. In practice I'm not convinced that's actually the case though.
No, the primary purpose is to sell bigger packs rather than more variety. This is probably why they attract large families that stand to save more money by buying in bulk.
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

Wed 18 Sep, 2019 13.36

There are definitely ranges not stocked across the chain, or at least there used to be. I was rather fond of the filled chapatis they used to have in their Indian range.
Image
Post Reply