Yet another Morrisons thread

rdobbie

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 01.26

JAS84 wrote:
Thu 08 Nov, 2018 16.24
The Folkestone branch has burnt down.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46136205

The bulldozers moved in fast (credit: Kent Online).

I found this pic (credit: Dreadnought Tiles) showing the same corner of the building. I'm guessing it was one of the early Safeways, when it was still owned by Safeway USA. I can imagine how prestigious it must have looked when it first opened.

Sput

Sat 30 Mar, 2019 09.35

Pete wrote:
Tue 23 Mar, 2010 18.31
OH MY GOD. That Safeway must be a metro megaouting for anyone visiting. It's on par with the Gibraltar Morrisons
*9 years pass*

THIS OLD GIRL?
Knight knight
Pete

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 15.00

Sput wrote:
Sat 30 Mar, 2019 09.35
Pete wrote:
Tue 23 Mar, 2010 18.31
OH MY GOD. That Safeway must be a metro megaouting for anyone visiting. It's on par with the Gibraltar Morrisons
*9 years pass*

THIS OLD GIRL?
Trying to decide on a new morrisons themed header image and this is in the top 3
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Tue 06 Aug, 2019 15.24

rdobbie wrote:
Fri 19 Oct, 2007 17.24
I've just spent a few days in Spain and popped into Gibraltar, where a visit to check out their local Morrisons was a must.

Hope these pics are of some interest to other sad anoraks like myself. It was very weird to come across something as British as Morrisons buried so deeply in the most southern tip of Europe, especially with so many relics of the Safeway era still in operation.

The products on sale were a strange 50/50 mixture of Spanish brands and Morrisons own brands. Another strange juxtaposition was seeing the usual Morrisons food being served in the coffee shop, but with a range of Spanish beers also being sold on draught.
The header has made me feel nostalgic. Do these photos exist anywhere still?

Also, how about that Safeway/Morrisons/Somerfield hybrid?
rdobbie

Wed 07 Aug, 2019 04.29

WillPS wrote:
Tue 06 Aug, 2019 15.24
The header has made me feel nostalgic. Do these photos exist anywhere still?
Yes! Successfully found buried away somewhere on my hard drive, and re-uploaded...

WillPS

Wed 07 Aug, 2019 09.36

That's brilliant, thank you. I wonder if that store had literally just lost its Safeway branding at that point.
all new Phil

Wed 07 Aug, 2019 11.34

If we ever manage a Metro meet-up, it should be to drink a beer in the Morrisons Gibraltar cafe.
*ass
rdobbie

Sat 10 Aug, 2019 06.05

WillPS wrote:
Wed 07 Aug, 2019 09.36
That's brilliant, thank you. I wonder if that store had literally just lost its Safeway branding at that point.
They seemed to be doing a gradual conversion while keeping the store open, unlike the conversions on the mainland where they closed the stores for about a week to obliterate every trace of Safeway.

Maybe they couldn't do the Gibraltar store in such a quick blast because of the border/distance issues with the new signage and shopfittings.

On a related note, my local Lidl recently had a minor refit (it only opened 4 years ago) and I was surprised to see a German shopfitting company doing the work, with several German-registered Transit vans in the car park. I wonder why Lidl found that cost-effective, compared to using British shopfitters? I'd have thought the cost of cross-channel transport for the vehicles, and accommodation for the workers, would be quite high.
Pete

Sat 10 Aug, 2019 07.57

rdobbie wrote:
Sat 10 Aug, 2019 06.05
On a related note, my local Lidl recently had a minor refit (it only opened 4 years ago) and I was surprised to see a German shopfitting company doing the work, with several German-registered Transit vans in the car park. I wonder why Lidl found that cost-effective, compared to using British shopfitters? I'd have thought the cost of cross-channel transport for the vehicles, and accommodation for the workers, would be quite high.
The Starbucks inside the old Borders in Dundee had a sheet of plywood at the end of the bar instead of the round bit of wood where they put your finished drink. This was because said bit of wood had not arrived. From Seattle. Because a round bit of wood is beyond the wit of local shopfitting companies clearly. Suspect it was part of an elaborate tax dodge.

My local Lidl also had a mini refit, which must have happened overnight because I don't remember it closing at any point. It's not a purpose built branch, instead being a converted Kwik Save with an extension on the front. So no paved carpark, just tarmac, and no "Middle of Lidl" asile of shite, just food.

As well as general repaints they did some rather clever things to increase the space substantially without actually increasing the footprint.

First, they removed four belted checkouts and replaced the two closest to the wall with a bank of eight self scans (never seen these before in Lidl) and have added a new exit only door right after the self scan.

If you'll observe by beautiful rendering you shall see why this is clever...

Not only have they gained the space from removing extra checkouts (blue) but because you now leave directly after them, they no longer need the exit walkway to return to the doors. In addition they've also changed from chest only freezers to the ones with cabinets on top.

It may seem small but it's an impressive amount of extra space in a reasonably small store, plus given its a student area with a higher number of customers but with small basket sizes self scan makes a lot of sense.

That said, because it's so efficient you're already out the door before you remember to scan your receipt to do the car park thing and then have to sneak back in.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Mon 12 Aug, 2019 13.21

All bar one of the Lidls near me have self-scans now. The purpose built one is a very nice shop indeed.
bilky asko

Mon 12 Aug, 2019 13.39

At my local Lidl, they're Wincor Nixdorf models. They have a coin hopper on the front, but internally they still have a coin conveyor belt, so you can still chuck in lots of coinage without jamming the machine.