Yet another Morrisons thread

JAS84

Martin Phillp wrote:
Jamesypoo wrote:On our last visit to Morrisons we were given a form to sign up to their new "Match & More" loyalty card with not much info with it. Anyone any idea?
It was announced recently that Morrisons are finally going to launch their own loyalty card, however I think they're too late with Nectar and Tesco Clubcard already well established, while Waitrose who launched their's last year have the added incentive of a free tea or coffee when you show your card.
And Asda used to have one but scrapped it some time ago.
all new Phil

Asda's card was just a trial wasn't it? I'm pretty sure there's never been one at my local one.
JAS84

No it wasn't just a trial. Asda Club ran for several years. It was in the mid-1990s, if I recall, and probably launched at around the same time as Tesco's Clubcard. I think it might have been scrapped when the Rollback promotions started, which was around the year 2000.
Martin Phillp

Out of the three loyalty schemes Morrisons are trialing, Yello appears to be a hybrid of Nectar (without the bonus of adding and spending points at other retailers) and Waitrose if they can offer a freebie at a Morrisons restaurant.

If they're going to do a brand match scheme, they might as well just copy the Sainsburys scheme without the need for yet another loyalty card.

If they go down the card route, I hope like Tesco, Waitrose and Nectar, they offer key fobs as they save room in my wallet.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

JAS84 wrote:No it wasn't just a trial. Asda Club ran for several years. It was in the mid-1990s, if I recall, and probably launched at around the same time as Tesco's Clubcard. I think it might have been scrapped when the Rollback promotions started, which was around the year 2000.
It certainly was never available in any of the Nottingham stores.
Martin Phillp

Since the recent everyday price promise, I noticed that some lines have reverted from being part of the Savers range to 'M'.

This is also the case with 'M' Kitchen. Some own brand items have also been replaced with branded equivalents or discontinued.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

IMPORTANT BREAKING MORRISONS NEWS

They appear to be rolling out a new font for their POS. All the newest barkers in-store today were using the serif font used in the "I'm your new cheaper Morrisons" campaign. Same design and layout as before, just the new font.
rdobbie

^^^ The font is Archer Bold if anyone's interested, better known for its Light variant which has become the only font in town for girly/lifestyle mags over the last few years.

I've seen it on the barkers mentioned by Phil and think it's far too serify and flowery to convey special offer information.
all new Phil

New SELs starting to appear in the new font, I noticed today. Replacing the old black and yellow ones they've had *forever*.
Jake

Looks like they've settled on a loyalty card, 'Match & More'.

The key differentiator seems to be price matching both Aldi & Lidl, as well as the other big supermarkets.
Critique

Jake wrote:Looks like they've settled on a loyalty card, 'Match & More'.

Yes and from what I can tell it's a price match scheme like every other supermarket, but if you could get it cheaper somewhere else the difference is given to you in points (1p = 10 points, so unnecessarily inflating the numbers), and then if you get £5 of points you get a £5 voucher - seems silly to have to save the points before getting them back, although it's of course to encourage return custom, but at Sainsbury's if you could of got it cheaper anywhere else (well just ASDA now but anyway) you get a voucher straight away.

However, the Sainsbury's vouchers expire quite quickly whereas I suppose the Morrisons ones won't. Morrisons are also comparing to places like Lidl, which I don't think any of the other big supermarkets do, do they? Plus they've said they'll include petrol in the scheme, which initially sounded the best part of it as I assumed it would mean they'd compare to everywhere else and give you points if they weren't cheapest, but the website just says you get 10 points per litre of fuel, which is better value than Sainsbury's I think?