Yet another Morrisons thread

Pete

I've only experienced co-op self scan once and it was definitely a unique monstrosity
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:
Pete wrote:Morrisons use the hideous Wincor-Nixdorf system rather than the superior NCR fastlane which hobbles them a bit.
Indeed, with the most over sensitive scales I've ever experienced. However, Waitrose and the Co-Op also use them and I don't get as many problems with them as I do at Morrisons.
The Co-operative Group use IBM stuff don't they?
I'm not sure, but the software is the same, even down to the way they use the 'Open' menu font at the Co-Op.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

by the look of it, it is wincor-nixdorf, just with a uniquely hideous UI

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/topics/techn ... 43.article
Nick Harvey wrote:Wincor-Nixdorf? Is that a bit of the original Nixdorf empire that didn't go to Siemens?

I met Heinz Nixdorf a few times when I was working on some of his machines back in the seventies.
Oooh, how showbiz, I hope you sang the Polar jingle for him?

Anyway: Siemens split Siemens-Nixdorf into two parts in 1999.

The PC business became Fujitsu-Semens until Fujitsu bought out Siemens in 2009.
The retail/banking bit that makes the tills and ATMs was spun out and became Wincor-Nixdorf.

To this day, I have no idea where the the word Wincor came from.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
scottishtv

How interesting.

Was it just hardware manufacturing that became Wincor Nixdorf? I know that Fujitsu took over ICL back in the day, and continued developing and supporting their ICL Global Store POS product for a long time, which ran on tills in M&S for a long time. I expect it's all been superceded, but was wondering if any legacy remnants of the ICL systems are still around anywhere.
ph2o

Morrisons new everyday low price campaign has started today with major press and adverts. This is clearly visible in all Morrisons stores.

all new Phil

The concept store near me has changed a bit - it was originally a 'Food Retail Warehouse', but last time I visited all the signage had been changed to say 'Discount by Morrisons' (with 'Discount' being the bigger part of the logo). It's interesting as it gives you an idea of what direction they are thinking of going in.

The inside is still a bit of a mess though. Nasty concrete floor, shelving like a cash and carry, and crazy off-brand signage for things like the butchers and the bakery sections.

I'm guessing the current thinking is that they need to go back from being a quality offer to being a value offer, what with the example above and the concept store. I think it's the wrong way to go, personally, but something has to change I suppose.
woah

ph2o wrote:Morrisons new everyday low price campaign has started today with major press and adverts. This is clearly visible in all Morrisons stores.

They were handing out free apples and oranges at Sheffield train station this morning in a bit of an unusual publicity move - they'd even replaced the usual apple variety sticker with one that said "I'm Cheaper" with the "I'm" logo from above.
Square Eyes

It's becoming more and more like Kwik Save. :D
Jamesypoo

On our last visit to Morrisons we were given a form to sign up to their new "Match & More" loyalty card with not much info with it. Anyone any idea?
Martin Phillp

Jamesypoo wrote:On our last visit to Morrisons we were given a form to sign up to their new "Match & More" loyalty card with not much info with it. Anyone any idea?
It was announced recently that Morrisons are finally going to launch their own loyalty card, however I think they're too late with Nectar and Tesco Clubcard already well established, while Waitrose who launched their's last year have the added incentive of a free tea or coffee when you show your card.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Martin Phillp wrote:
Jamesypoo wrote:On our last visit to Morrisons we were given a form to sign up to their new "Match & More" loyalty card with not much info with it. Anyone any idea?
It was announced recently that Morrisons are finally going to launch their own loyalty card, however I think they're too late with Nectar and Tesco Clubcard already well established, while Waitrose who launched their's last year have the added incentive of a free tea or coffee when you show your card.
This article from the Evening Standard says they're piloting three schemes.