Yet another Morrisons thread

WillPS

woah wrote:
WillPS wrote:Didn't see this coming - Morrisons have bought up the 10 Best Buy stores for Kiddicare.

Not sure I see that going too well personally - I thought the takeover was a good idea on account of the synergy which could be achieved in store, but the standalone mother & baby superstore is a thing of the past, isn't it?
That's very surprising - the only Best Buy I've been in is at Rotherham (can you believe Rotherham got one!) and it is enormous - I can't imagine them filling the space unless they plan to split up the units and sell/rent another one out. A LIDL in Sheffield did that in a former MFI store and they'll still trying to sell the extra space...
T'was Aldi, across the road from where I used to work at the bottom of London Road. The extra space they've failed to tenant wasn't actually MFI - it was Bensons for Beds.

I went to the one in Nottingham (also across the road from a former place of work!) and I was underwhelmed by the size but it was one of the smaller ones apparently.
all new Phil

Some work going on in my local Morrisons when I went in today. Looks like all the signage for the Fishmongers, Bakery and the other similar bits are being replaced. Think the wall between the salad bar and the kitchen behind has been removed. It's an original Morrisons and has the full range already so will be interesting to see what they are doing. Also curiously removed the automatic barriers you walk through on your way in.
Ben

WillPS wrote:Didn't see this coming - Morrisons have bought up the 10 Best Buy stores for Kiddicare.

Not sure I see that going too well personally - I thought the takeover was a good idea on account of the synergy which could be achieved in store, but the standalone mother & baby superstore is a thing of the past, isn't it?
The Croydon Best Buy replaced Mothercare World which relocated (as plain old Mothercare) to a much smaller site not far away...
woah

Our Morrisons has recieved a little computerised 'Kiddicare' kiosk on the baby aisle - with a touchscreen and chip and pin machine, very similar to the newer self service payment machines Argos use. A daft idea, really, as not many people will stop and faff with a machine and inputting their address and details whilst dragging a trolley round a supermarket.
bilky asko

woah wrote:Our Morrisons has recieved a little computerised 'Kiddicare' kiosk on the baby aisle - with a touchscreen and chip and pin machine, very similar to the newer self service payment machines Argos use. A daft idea, really, as not many people will stop and faff with a machine and inputting their address and details whilst dragging a trolley round a supermarket.
Presumably you would stop moving the trolley whilst you were using the machine.
woah

bilky asko wrote:
woah wrote:Our Morrisons has recieved a little computerised 'Kiddicare' kiosk on the baby aisle - with a touchscreen and chip and pin machine, very similar to the newer self service payment machines Argos use. A daft idea, really, as not many people will stop and faff with a machine and inputting their address and details whilst dragging a trolley round a supermarket.
Oh how hilarious you are! What I'm trying to say is that most mums who have a baby (or expecting mothers) aren't likely to stop in the middle of an aisle whilst busy shopping, browse through products on the screen, then input their address and order something - it's a slow process, that could be done just as easily in the comfort of your own home or in a babycare shop.
bilky asko

woah wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
Oh how hilarious you are! What I'm trying to say is that most mums who have a baby (or expecting mothers) aren't likely to stop in the middle of an aisle whilst busy shopping, browse through products on the screen, then input their address and order something - it's a slow process, that could be done just as easily in the comfort of your own home or in a babycare shop.
I agree on the most part, although speed may not be a massive issue considering the amount of people who put up with the slowness of self-service machines (whether down to their own incompetence or not).
WillPS

I think it's a pretty daft idea too - ten years ago it might have been an idea but now everybody who'd be prepared to use such a terminal has access to the web.
Ben wrote:

The Croydon Best Buy replaced Mothercare World which relocated (as plain old Mothercare) to a much smaller site not far away...
Same thing happened in Nottingham; Mothercare moved next door in to a much smaller unit.
Pete

Surely though its more glorified advertising for the website rather than meant for non-stop usage? Remember when you're a big company with close access to manufacturers you can can things like this for naff all.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote:Surely though its more glorified advertising for the website rather than meant for non-stop usage? Remember when you're a big company with close access to manufacturers you can can things like this for naff all.
I suppose its a bit like the photo kiosks - they rarely get used, but they aren't a drain on resources either.
WillPS

Just when you think stuff is on the up:
https://twitter.com/#!/dresserman/statu ... 96/photo/1

Ugh, Kwik Save anybody? I hope this is some kind of mistake.