Yet another Morrisons thread

WillPS

nwtv2003 wrote:Three 'M Local' stores will be open on the 'M62 Corridor' pretty soon, one of them as shown in the picture there, one of the other stores will be at Upton Rocks near Widnes, I think one of them may have opened already as some advertising already has 'Not at Morrisons Local' on screen.
Big mistake if true. Sainsbury's Local and Tesco Express always carry the advertised offers.
SirKen

nwtv2003 wrote:Three 'M Local' stores will be open on the 'M62 Corridor' pretty soon, one of them as shown in the picture there, one of the other stores will be at Upton Rocks near Widnes, I think one of them may have opened already as some advertising already has 'Not at Morrisons Local' on screen.
Ilkley is the first to open, that's on Friday at 1pm. Trial store, I'll blog about it as I already know some of the big changes and it's groundbreaking for Morrisons so you'll have to see the blog!

Upton Rocks is a great site but I dont think plans have yet been granted?

3rd store is at Wilmslow and that's the next one to open, signage has been put in for planning permission now and building work is ongoing there too.
nwtv2003

SirKen wrote:Upton Rocks is a great site but I dont think plans have yet been granted?
They're already advertising for staff (internally) there, so I would have thought everything would have been granted.
steve
SirKen

nwtv2003 wrote:
SirKen wrote:Upton Rocks is a great site but I dont think plans have yet been granted?
They're already advertising for staff (internally) there, so I would have thought everything would have been granted.
Deal is done, planning permission wont be a problem but 'officially' the decision from the council wasn't due until the end of June and there is no final confirmation yet. I had that story ready to go an age back but had to get confirmation from Morrisons that it was ok, you never know with Tesco etc.
woah

There's a report on the new Morrisons Local store at Ilkley right now on Look North Yorkshire. The store looks absolutely superb - very clean, crisp, and modern.
SirKen

Your friendly local blog also has a full report up now - http://www.uk-retailers.co.uk
Pete

Very interesting blog, especially regarding the hub and spoke system for delivering from a large store.

Also noteworthy is the introduction of LCD ticketing, noteworthy because a certain other supermarket introduced them 6 years ago and then they were promtly disposed of by guess who.

Nonetheless, it's nice to see Morrisons trying new things, I had the misfortune of being in Stoke for two weeks until last night and the local Morrisons was a very pleasant store (clearly a 90s new build with similar architecture to Tynemouth but with the newer style of Market Street from the Bolland era), their fresh sandwiches were both excellent quality and very reasonably priced. Also the steak slices were vastly superior to those Tesco have in their little cabinet.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Sput

Never mind that, DID YOU TRY THE SAUSAGE ROLLS?
Knight knight
SirKen

Aye we all know Safeway did eSEL's but Morrisons didnt have the systems capability to do it. They do now as their Oracle database is running the eSEL operation, I was speaking to the format director who used to be at Safeway and he said the technology has come such a long way since those days.

It's wel worth a visit if you get the chance though.
adamcobb55

Gavin Scott wrote:Sainsbury's Local in Leith has opened.

*disappointed*

Its very handy for those living in the area who would want general groceries; but as its located near lots of offices I would have expected it to carry a better range of sandwiches, pre-made salads etc.

Instead there's a small range of veg, but not quite enough diversity to buy my own salad ingredients. Things like bleach and Windolene seem out of place there.

Perhaps the range will change.
Sainsbury's have a habit of getting the range terribly wrong when they first open the store. This was particularly the case near me when a new store located in an ex-Somerfield in a less well-off area had to abandon its entire range and start from scratch.
SirKen

Does anybody know how those eSELs work? Do they update via wifi?
Price is updated centrally via wifi - so for price change across the board on yoghurts for example (big stores as well as M Local) would see them change automatically.

They are clever when a new line comes in, apparently you hold a button at the back to reset it, then scan the esel barcode, then the new product barcode and the esel updates itself and matches to that new product.

They are rigidly held onto the shelf so not easy to remove and Ilkleys a very well to do area.