Dabs and Ebuyer in liquidation

Dr Lobster*

just heard this from a very high-up source.

be careful about buying anything too expensive from these companies
Gavin Scott
Admin

My colleague was just about to buy a DVD recorder through eBuyer.

What more can you say about this, Siggy?
Chris

Companies house doesn't seem to say anything about them being in liquidation ...
Dr Lobster*

Chris wrote:Companies house doesn't seem to say anything about them being in liquidation ...
takes a while before it happens on the companies house website. one company i *know* to be in administration (the administrators are contacting customers about missed orders and chasing up credit - they have been in this state for some time) and companies house still lists it as 'active', even though nobody is answering the phone, emails and sales staff have been made redundant.
Spencer For Hire

Gavin Scott wrote:My colleague was just about to buy a DVD recorder through eBuyer.
I've had big problems with eBuyer in the past. If things go wrong, getting in contact with them is a near impossibility. A quick Google search revealed I'm far from the only one to have had trouble.

They may be cheap, but I'd advise extreme caution.
Dr Lobster*

Gavin Scott wrote:My colleague was just about to buy a DVD recorder through eBuyer.

What more can you say about this, Siggy?
i've sent you everything i know so far via pm, Gavin.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Much appreciated. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Chris

I've got some stuff on order from Dabs and have made a number of fairly expensive purchases from the aformentioned companies recently in the past few months - I am rather concerned at this as I have no desire to be left up the swanny with no warranty.

Any chance of sending me this information? Would be interesting to know what's going on.
Dr Lobster*

Chris wrote:I've got some stuff on order from Dabs and have made a number of fairly expensive purchases from the aformentioned companies recently in the past few months - I am rather concerned at this as I have no desire to be left up the swanny with no warranty.

Any chance of sending me this information? Would be interesting to know what's going on.

check your pm. i wouldn't be too concerned by warranties though - this will almost certainly be handled by the manufacturer, even if it was doa, you could wait a few days and say it failed a few days after it's arrival.
Chris

Dr Lobster* wrote:
Chris wrote:I've got some stuff on order from Dabs and have made a number of fairly expensive purchases from the aformentioned companies recently in the past few months - I am rather concerned at this as I have no desire to be left up the swanny with no warranty.

check your pm. i wouldn't be too concerned by warranties though - this will almost certainly be handled by the manufacturer, even if it was doa, you could wait a few days and say it failed a few days after it's arrival.
Thanks for your PM. :)

Although it isn't surprising that eBuyer would be going under - their customer service is appaling (I have never had to deal with the returns department, but apparently it is a night mare) and they try every trick in the book to stop or delay in refunding customer's money in the case of wrongly ordered/faulty goods.

They no longer have a public email address or phone number and the only way to contact them is via the e-notes system in which they control at will.

Dabs have a similar system - I don't think you can phone them and they have some crappy contact system - all the emails I have sent to them regarding my orders have never been replied to by a human; I get the standard canned "thank you for your email" guff and nothing else.

Well, OK, that might be a slight bending of the truth - I did get a reply to my email once, but it was obvious it was not written by a human and either processed by some machine scanning for keywords or by some gimp clicking the "if the email is about delivery click this button to send a link to the FAQs" response.
Mich

On the contary I think it would be a great shame if ebuyer goes under. I found their returns department to be quick and easy, and i've had no problems with their CS.