Faking/Hiding an MSN version number

cwathen

Weeks after Yahoo ended support for older versions of their messenger program and forced users to upgrade, Microsoft have jumped on the bandwagon too.

After well over a year of weekly pleas to upgrade, my good old MSN Messenger Service 3.6 is now 'no longer supported' (despite signing in fine and appearing fine for a few seconds until the forced upgrade popup appears).

I've no wish at all to upgrade, does anyone know of a patch or other way of altering the version number so that I can keep from upgrading?
Dr Lobster*

I would think there is, but it would require editing the binary with a hex editor. This approach also assumes that the versioning enforced by Microsoft is an artificial restriction, and that there have been no underlying changes to the protocol.

It's more hassle than it's worth.
mikeroberts

I understand your point, but I think the easiest thing to do would be to let go, and get the new MSN. You will learn to love it!
Chris

mikeroberts wrote:I understand your point, but I think the easiest thing to do would be to let go, and get the new MSN. You will learn to love it!
Moving on isn't always the best policy. MSN 5 always took an age to log in, and I reverted back to 4.6, which AIUI is no longer supported my MS when they change the (?) the near future.

I don't think I'll ever learn to like long login times :roll:

:?
lukey

Whilst of course MSN6 kicks serious balls! Especially 6.1
It really is a fantastic step-up from the 4s and 5s, and I see no reason to not upgrade, unless your PC is REALLY underpowered - but I got it working fine on a 266!
shaun

M$ are preventing everyone who doesn't upgrade (or doesn't use the M$ client) because there is a new protocol that is more secure. Only MSN6 supports it.
cwathen

M$ are preventing everyone who doesn't upgrade (or doesn't use the M$ client) because there is a new protocol that is more secure. Only MSN6 supports it.
Which conveniently also takes out all people using older and less cluttered versions of their software, and stops people who like the convenience of using a single messenger program like Trillian.
MarkN

moo wrote:M$ are preventing everyone who doesn't upgrade (or doesn't use the M$ client) because there is a new protocol that is more secure. Only MSN6 supports it.
Apparently Windows Messenger 4.7 and above also support the new protocol.
lukey

That's news to me.
Davester

MSN 6 is actually better than the older versions. Just try it! And if you want windowless rectangular borders get 6.1 , just search around on the net for it.
There's really nothing wrong with 6.
cwathen

Well I'm now on MSN6 and I just don't like it. It's too cluttered. I don't want to play games or travel with expedia.co.uk, I don't need all those extra buttons on the message windows getting in the way of the chat.

The reason I stayed with MSN 3.6 was that it was simple and uncluttered - the addons didn't matter to me and I resent being forced to upgrade.