Faking/Hiding an MSN version number

Chris

cwathen wrote:Well I'm now on MSN6 and I just don't like it. It's too cluttered. I don't want to play games or travel with expedia.co.uk, I don't need all those extra buttons on the message windows getting in the way of the chat.

The reason I stayed with MSN 3.6 was that it was simple and uncluttered - the addons didn't matter to me and I resent being forced to upgrade.
I assume the travelling with Expedia is the ad banner at the bottom of the contacts list window. You can hide that banner by downloading Messenger Plus! (but choose custom setup otherwise it will install this browser toolbar thingy).
Pete

Regarding all the expedia junk. If you go to
Tools - Options - Privicy
there is a ticky box called "This is a shared computer so don't display my tabs." Tick and and sign out and back in.

Plus I'm sure that 6.1 is less cluttered than I remember 6.0 being.

The picture things (love them) can be hidden by clicking the little arrows next to them or by unticking the relavent boxes in Options, General.

If you want clutter - try Opera.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
johnnyboy

James Martin wrote:Windows Messenger on XP is your best bet, I find the Fisher Price interface of MSN 6 annoying also.
Wibble.
Pete

ed wade 3 wrote:
James Martin wrote:Windows Messenger on XP is your best bet, I find the Fisher Price interface of MSN 6 annoying also.
Wibble.
now don't bring that over here ed - it's been nice and quiet on this board.
Davester

Well Search on the net for 6.1 then! You can change all the colours of the contact windows and they go windowless.
Pete

Why don't you turn them off then? Just click Don't display my tabs in options

I like 6.1's ability to turn off the "real" titlebar. It's very like WMP9 although the maximise has been refined.

The colour changer is not very good though - it's very washed out.
Cheese Head
Banned

Has anyone found a way to fake or hide a version number of msn? I want to run it on an older machine, but the newer version doesnt like it because im not using IE 5. So I cant use v3 of MSN because I'm forced to update, even after deleting that part in ResHack, it still shows as 3.x
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
MarkN

MSN Messenger v3 will not work at all anymore, because Microsoft detects which protocol is being used, rather than the product's version number.

There are other, Free Software programs that will allow you to connect without IE5:

Gaim - http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php

Miranda IM - http://www.miranda-im.org/

Hope this helps!