Are our ayslum laws effective?

iSon

In a brave but probably ill founded effort to take Metropol up market, I thought we'd talk serious issues.

With asylum laws set to be an election issue and of course press coverage like the Daily Mail saying that Britain is a "soft touch" - what do you think?

:arrow: Do you really think we're letting in too many asylum seekers? Is it racist to say they should be turned away immediately?
:arrow: Do you agree with Kilroy that's there no such as an asylum seeker - that many are economic migrants.
:arrow: What is the definition of a refugee? Should they be allowed to stay here without question?

So many questions, so little time.

Basically, are the asylum laws in place now, working? Discuss.
Good Lord!
cdd

My opinion is that the world should be free for anyone to live and work anywhere. The idea that people should be locked into their own countries and that other countries are territorially restricted for many is archaic to say the least.

Think about it. Countries used to defend themselves using crudely-made weapons -- and I'm sure you'll all agree that's barbaric. But what happens today is no different -- just more officious.

"They" (if you insist on calling them that) can come here, and "we" can go there. So long as people are willing to abide by foreign culture there is no conceivable problem.
Snu

It is a big story and as with a lot of things like this, easy right wing fodder for the Daily Mail to use for frightening their readership.

On your first question, I think it would be hard to argue that asylum hasn’t gotten out of hand within the UK. That said we are not nearly the soft touch that we are often lead to believe. The problem lies with red tape in processing requests from asylum seekers who do go through the proper channels. I would argue however that the issue has a long way to go before it becomes a huge issue for the British taxpayer; it is nowhere near this stage right now.

Kilroys point is valid however I don’t take it in quite the xenophobic context he implies. (They’re all taking our jobs etc) We have massive skill shortages in the UK at present, doctors, teachers etc. By definition, the UK is horrendously under populated. That is to say we have far more resource than we have people to tap that resource. Many of our major cities are currently operating at ‘0 % unemployment’. That does not mean that there is nobody out of work rather that is an indicator of how people in the UK can afford to be choosey in their choice of work. In a similar way that we don’t have enough of a skilled workforce, many jobs such as bus driving and refuse collection etc remained unfilled on the basis that Brits don’t want them.

Of course any refugee deserves the right for asylum in the UK. It’s our obligation, but the definitions of that term needs tightening to ensure that nobody on either side of the argument can take it and use it to their advantage. The right wing need to understand that its not just the lily livered, namby pamby, sandal wearing, lentil munching liberal left that dismiss any strategy as draconian measures, but the average centrist has their concerns to. Similarly the left wing needs to look at the argument with more of an open mind. The concerns are real, it needs to be dealt with. Just stop being frightened/aggravated by the right wing press over this issue as they are only out to frighten/annoy you!

Australia operates a business case system of entry. That is to say you have to prove what value you will be to the country before they let you in. Now this isn’t specifically an asylum strategy but works well to ensure only those needed by the country, enter. Seems like the system we are moving towards but it is important to point out that it has been operating in Australia for years and isn’t the brainchild of some little Hitler sitting in the corridors of Westminster.
I say it only because I'm good looking...
cdd

Snu wrote:That is to say you have to prove what value you will be to the country before they let you in.
I think that's a brilliant idea, actually!
Big Brother

Munwhile in upper Britain or Scotland as the locals have it they want to increase migrant workers and foreign students studying here... which completely goes against the grain of the government in London.
This and That

It's about time the goverment in this country started to respect and look after pensioners who fought for the freedom that we enjoy today.Some pensioners are frightened to put their heating on in winter and have to pay to use public transport it is a disgrace. Yet asylum seekers enjoy certain benefits and they have NEVER contributed to tax or anything else in this country.

Students,Nurses,Teachers all not look after enough or valued .

I do sympathise with asylum seekers problems and wish them no harm.However would UK citizens get all the free benifits they enjoy if they ended up in some of these countries asylum seekers come from NO.

The line needs to be drawn somewhere.
Snu

This and That wrote:It's about time the goverment in this country started to respect and look after pensioners who fought for the freedom that we enjoy today.Some pensioners are frightened to put their heating on in winter and have to pay to use public transport it is a disgrace. Yet asylum seekers enjoy certain benefits and they have NEVER contributed to tax or anything else in this country.

Students,Nurses,Teachers all not look after enough or valued .

I do sympathise with asylum seekers problems and wish them no harm.However would UK citizens get all the free benifits they enjoy if they ended up in some of these countries asylum seekers come from NO.

The line needs to be drawn somewhere.
Surely that’s why they come here in the first place? Because the rights and privileges here in the UK are far more advanced than those countries asylum seekers come from. I don’t think a tit for tat attitude will resolve the problem.

I take your point on the pensioner issue but I don’t feel the two issues relate in anyway. If the asylum issue wasn’t there or at least far less of an issue, pensioners would still be as worse of as they are now. The money doesn’t transfer from one pot to another. Government (alas) isn’t that simple. The fact remains the pensioner issue simply…well...isn’t an issue. Most pensioners don’t go out and vote and so the Government really couldn’t care less.
This and That

The point i'm making is that the Goverment should be looking after the people that have slaved all their life and paid tax to the UK goverment.The UK is to much of a soft touch.I don't wish any of these people any harm in anyway but they should not have the right to just come here and claim benifits off the UK goverment.
Snu

I'd agree, but take the asylum issue away and the pensioners will still be suffering. It really doesn't compare.
This and That

Yes ok point taken i still think that asylum seekers should NOT get anything free in this country they have contributed NOTHING.
Pete

if they are true refugees, what would they pay with? And surely they cannot start contributing unless they are given a small start?