Morrisons supermarket is downmarket

Chris

The stock control issue is also apalling. I have studied the EPOS system, which automaticaly re-orders in stock if supplies run low. Now I'd imagine even our 'Co-Op Local' has this system - so how are Morrisons having so many problems?
From what I've read, Morrisons have decided to ditch the SM3 stock management system at Safeway stores and replace it with ... pen and paper. Apparently Sir Ken (or Sir Kunt as he is more affectionately known amongst employees of Safeway stores :lol: ) has decided that computers are no good, and so wants to spread his old fashioned ways to the dismay of those working in Safeway.
nwtv2003

As a Morrisons employee I have to agree with some of the comments that Morrisons is rather downmarket, but that's how it has been for God knows how long, if you have loads of low prices and Buy One Get One Free's compared to other shops then you are going to get some of what I can only say as the lowest common denominator. Though at the Morrisons I work at, we have a mix, as we're the only major main Supermarket in South Warrington, we have an Asda and Tesco in the Town centre, a Sainsbury's near the Town centre and two more Asda's on the outskirts, the only other form of competition in my village is Somerfield and Sainsbury's Local, we had a Kwik Save but it closed.

Up until 2004 before the takover, Morrisons were growing naturally though their most Southern store was in the Midlands IIRC. But they bought Safeway, from a Business point of view it is a good idea, as they can expand Nationwide. But what they have done is kill off the Safeway brand far too quickly than what they should have done. They have also got rid of many Safeway's own goods, only things like 'Eat Smart' and 'The Best' seemed to have survived the takeover, so Safeway customers now get Morrisons things such as Bettabuy. You can see why Morrisons wanted to expand, but it has been done badly IMO and they're losing alot of customers, as the culture of both Supermarkets are entirely different to one another. What they should have done is to make customers aware that Safeway is now part of Morrisons, but they should have only altered the prices and possibly bring some Morrisons own stuff within Safeway. But they have killed it and probably annoyed alot of people by doing so.

Though it is odd that looking at previous posts, that we in Warrington have never had a main Safeway store, the only thing we have is a BP Safeway that opened about 2 or 3 years ago, I have typed in my postcode in what used to be the Safeway website and my nearest store was either somewhere in Merseyside or Greater Manchester, so I've never really tried Safeway's things and what have you. I went in one in North Wales once a few years ago but I found it rather average and wasn't really impressed.

Though also remember Morrisons does have a good reputation, the store I work at is always very busy, people have said that they do like and do prefer it to other supermarkets such as Asda. It is also probably the only supermarket that doesn't have a Card points system such as Tesco or Sainsbury's Nectar. As we have all over our store "Save £££ not Points" (Yes I know that sounds really naff)

As a Northerner I have heard of Waitrose, I have been in one too (the one in Windsor) and all I can say was that I wasn't impressed by it. Everyone who tells you about it seems to make out that it is a really upmarket style of shop, but to me it was like walking in a Sainsburys from the early 1990's.

And if you don't like Morrisons, then no-one is forcing you to shop there, most town's have a Tesco, Asda or a Sainsbury's. If you liked Safeway and hate Morrisons, then I'm sorry but that's how it is, and it is Morrisons fault for doing so.
cat

cwathen wrote:
Nonsense.

You're telling me that people 'down south' have never come across Morrison's?
Where do you come from? By 'down south' do you mean 'in or around London'? Before takeover, there were no Morrisons stores in Cornwall. Before, takeover, there were no Morrisons stores in Devon. And although I can't say for certain that there were none, I had never seen a Morrisons store in Somerset or Dorset either.

Before takeover, Morrisons did not advertise on TV in the south west where such advertising could be regionalised. Before takeover, the only time I had ever heard of or experienced Morrisons was when doing GCSE English and we had to compare some advertising between different supermarket brands - and incidentally, it was NEAB's GCSE course that I did.
I've never shopped at Waitrose, but I've still heard of it.
OK, so you've heard of Waitrose, but never shopped there. Is Waitrose a significant supermarket chain to you? If you're asked to name the first 3 supermarket brands that come into your head, is Waitrose likely to be on there?
You can't go and run two brands side-by-side, it'll cost you an absolute fortune.
Now THAT is rubbish. There are loads of examples of single companies having multiple brands offering the same products. DSG has Currys AND Dixons, SMG has Scottish TV AND Grampian TV, Time Computers has both Time AND Tiny. Rover Group has Rover AND MG.

And to take my point to it's extreme, Alba Group has Alba AND Bush AND Goodmans AND Grundig AND Harvard, all of which could sell AV equipment, AND they have licenced the use of other brands for certain types of product despite allready owning suitable brands for those products (they are allowed to make NTL-branded phones, and Ministry of Sound-branded audio equipment etc). All in all, Alba group products can be sold under one of 20 brand names (and that's not a plucked out of the air figure, go and count the brands on their corporate website). Do you want me to go on?
The Safeway brand was never particularly strong, and it's never been up at the top of the supermarket tree in the way that, say, Sainsbury's has.
The Safeway brand was 'never particularly strong'? How not? Virtually every town of significance across the entire UK has/had a Safeway store. Morrisons on the other hand may have had strong market presence in certain areas, but there are huge swathes of the country in which the brand had no presence at all until less than a year ago. Even now, if you ask people to name what they consider to be the 3 most recognisable supermarket brands, I firmly believe that you are much more likely to hear 'Tesco, Sainsbury's and Safeway' than you are to hear 'Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons'
Morrison's took over Safeway because they had lots and lots of stores, not because they thought ''ooh, let's reinvent ourselves''.
No, but having taken over Safeway they decided to waste no time in getting their brand name everwhere. Buying out Safeway is now going to be used to create the national roll out of their brand which they never had before. My point however is that in buying Safeway they were buying a brand which allready had national recognition, and if they truly wanted to improve their business, they'd do better dropping the Morrisons brand and pushing forward Safeway...or just do the obvious and be called Morrisons where Morrisons is strong and Safeway everywhere else.

The fact of the matter is that, for Morrison's, their strategy (of being cheap and appealing to lower social class of shoppers) must have played off somewhere, because they've just completed one of the biggest supermarket takeovers in British history.
Indeed, because the Safeway brand was a trophy. If it had been the other way around, and Safeway had just completed the takeover of Morrisons, would it have been seen as such a big deal? Somehow, I think not.
To ditch what has clearly been a successful brand and strategy after completing a massive takeover would be rather stupid.
Morrisons is clearly succesful in areas where the brand has been cultivated. But in many areas of the country, they've got to start from scratch. And even in areas of the country where Morrisons was a big brand, so was Safeway too. Personally, I think they should have continued with both brands for at least the next 5 years before conducting a review and deciding on whether to maintain that situation or whether to go with a single brand strategy.

I don't agree at all that they should have immediately started to favour one brand over the other, but if they were going to go that way, sticking with Morrisons was a mistake. What we are seeing here is not the product of months of market research into what makes a good supermarket brand, what we are seeing is the result of a knee-jerk reaction by company directors wanting Morrisons to be recognised nationally and thus building up their business, completely ignoring the fact that with Safeway they aquired a brand which allready had that status and potential; in essence they are now going to spend money to create a brand with the status of one which they allready own. And that makes no sense.
Jesus... I can't say I read all of that, but now I know why I rarely visit this forum anymore.
Fireboy

cat wrote:
cwathen wrote:
Nonsense.

Where do you come from? By 'down south' do you mean 'in or around London'? Before takeover, there were no Morrisons stores in Cornwall. Before, takeover, there were no Morrisons stores in Devon. And although I can't say for certain that there were none, I had never seen a Morrisons store in Somerset or Dorset either.

Before takeover, Morrisons did not advertise on TV in the south west where such advertising could be regionalised. Before takeover, the only time I had ever heard of or experienced Morrisons was when doing GCSE English and we had to compare some advertising between different supermarket brands - and incidentally, it was NEAB's GCSE course that I did.
I've never shopped at Waitrose, but I've still heard of it.
OK, so you've heard of Waitrose, but never shopped there. Is Waitrose a significant supermarket chain to you? If you're asked to name the first 3 supermarket brands that come into your head, is Waitrose likely to be on there?
You can't go and run two brands side-by-side, it'll cost you an absolute fortune.
Now THAT is rubbish. There are loads of examples of single companies having multiple brands offering the same products. DSG has Currys AND Dixons, SMG has Scottish TV AND Grampian TV, Time Computers has both Time AND Tiny. Rover Group has Rover AND MG.

And to take my point to it's extreme, Alba Group has Alba AND Bush AND Goodmans AND Grundig AND Harvard, all of which could sell AV equipment, AND they have licenced the use of other brands for certain types of product despite allready owning suitable brands for those products (they are allowed to make NTL-branded phones, and Ministry of Sound-branded audio equipment etc). All in all, Alba group products can be sold under one of 20 brand names (and that's not a plucked out of the air figure, go and count the brands on their corporate website). Do you want me to go on?
The Safeway brand was never particularly strong, and it's never been up at the top of the supermarket tree in the way that, say, Sainsbury's has.
The Safeway brand was 'never particularly strong'? How not? Virtually every town of significance across the entire UK has/had a Safeway store. Morrisons on the other hand may have had strong market presence in certain areas, but there are huge swathes of the country in which the brand had no presence at all until less than a year ago. Even now, if you ask people to name what they consider to be the 3 most recognisable supermarket brands, I firmly believe that you are much more likely to hear 'Tesco, Sainsbury's and Safeway' than you are to hear 'Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons'
Morrison's took over Safeway because they had lots and lots of stores, not because they thought ''ooh, let's reinvent ourselves''.
No, but having taken over Safeway they decided to waste no time in getting their brand name everwhere. Buying out Safeway is now going to be used to create the national roll out of their brand which they never had before. My point however is that in buying Safeway they were buying a brand which allready had national recognition, and if they truly wanted to improve their business, they'd do better dropping the Morrisons brand and pushing forward Safeway...or just do the obvious and be called Morrisons where Morrisons is strong and Safeway everywhere else.

The fact of the matter is that, for Morrison's, their strategy (of being cheap and appealing to lower social class of shoppers) must have played off somewhere, because they've just completed one of the biggest supermarket takeovers in British history.
Indeed, because the Safeway brand was a trophy. If it had been the other way around, and Safeway had just completed the takeover of Morrisons, would it have been seen as such a big deal? Somehow, I think not.
To ditch what has clearly been a successful brand and strategy after completing a massive takeover would be rather stupid.
Morrisons is clearly succesful in areas where the brand has been cultivated. But in many areas of the country, they've got to start from scratch. And even in areas of the country where Morrisons was a big brand, so was Safeway too. Personally, I think they should have continued with both brands for at least the next 5 years before conducting a review and deciding on whether to maintain that situation or whether to go with a single brand strategy.

I don't agree at all that they should have immediately started to favour one brand over the other, but if they were going to go that way, sticking with Morrisons was a mistake. What we are seeing here is not the product of months of market research into what makes a good supermarket brand, what we are seeing is the result of a knee-jerk reaction by company directors wanting Morrisons to be recognised nationally and thus building up their business, completely ignoring the fact that with Safeway they aquired a brand which allready had that status and potential; in essence they are now going to spend money to create a brand with the status of one which they allready own. And that makes no sense.
Jesus... I can't say I read all of that, but now I know why I rarely visit this forum anymore.
It's all just repetition as well. I could condense that down to "they should have used the Safeway name alone or left it how it is".
rdobbie

Hymagumba was spot on - Morrisons is ego driven. Sir Ken personally makes all the big decisions, and many of the smaller ones too. He doesn't believe in consultants or branding agencies. Everything is done in-house. It's a business practice I can partly understand, when you look at stories like the agency that charged £1m+ to change Royal Mail to Consignia, then charged another £500k to suggest changing the name back to Royal Mail. But on the other hand Ken Morrison is too "old school" and set in his ways. A business needs fresh ideas to survive because the nation's tastes will move on and leave you behind.

Our local Safeway in Congleton re-opened as a Morrisons last week. It was a "new generation" Safeway that had already been refitted about 3 years ago and looked very modern as a Safeway. Needless to say it now looks like a branch of Kwik Save circa 1985.

Morrisons had a local publicity campaign claiming there were "more reasons" to visit the converted store, but the thing is, there are less reasons! They got rid of the photo processing, the dry cleaning, and the pizza counter which made wonderful hot or cold pizzas. They also scaled down the salad bar from 24 items to 10 very basic items like coleslaw and hard boiled eggs! So Morrisons have introduced nothing new (apart from the Pie Shop), but have got rid of several facilities that the old Safeway had.

I spoke to a lady on the till last night who said it was like going back 20 years in a time warp. One of the many things Morrisons did was rip out the phones that Safeway had on every till which enabled a till operator to phone any part of the store to speed up any problems. They've replaced them with those flashing lights where the supervisor has to walk over.

And as for that ruddy Pie Shop, I squirm when I think of the reaction that will get in the more affluent parts of the South of England.
Johnny

cwathen wrote:
Nonsense.

Where do you come from? By 'down south' do you mean 'in or around London'?
I only heard of them from somebody who came from up North who used to use them.

BTW is CostCutters found anywhere outside of the south east, I know there is one in Hackney & one on The Strand in London but that's it & they very rarely get mentioned

Good job there aint any "Kwik-E-Mart" stores in the UK ;)
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."
Big Brother

Johnny wrote:
cwathen wrote:
Nonsense.

Where do you come from? By 'down south' do you mean 'in or around London'?
I only heard of them from somebody who came from up North who used to use them.

BTW is CostCutters found anywhere outside of the south east, I know there is one in Hackney & one on The Strand in London but that's it & they very rarely get mentioned

Good job there aint any "Kwik-E-Mart" stores in the UK ;)
We have a Costcutter up here, not on quite the same scale as Morrisons or Tesco mind ya.

On this downmarket saga I have something which doesn't really sway any motion but my local Safeway has applied for some planning permission to build new trolley house things. Dunno what they're called but I can just imagine them being a black box. They've also applied to build a fence and gates - which I don't understand. This store has a surrounding wall and a fence makes no sense. I can only imagine they want to keep people out after it closes.

On the phones at till thing I have noticed my local doesn't have the phones there anymore and they do just have some flashing light thing. And a staff member who stands at some wooden block comes rushing over then goes searching.

All I can say is that I hope Asda get to build the massive store out of town, and I hope Tesco get to build there supermarket right next door to Safeway....hahahah.
Brad

Just been in Costcutter about 15 mins ago. The girl at the till couldn't serve me any beer as she was obviously under 18 and her supervisor wasn't coming down onto the shop floor regardless of the number of times the girl called for her. I got served eventually!

I remember getting into a conversation when I moved to York about getting some picture hooks for my new flat, and my dad said, "Oh just pop into Robert Dyas." My girlfriend then replies... "Where?!"
I've known of Robert Dyas stores all my life and until I moved here thought they were a national company, branch in every UK town etc! It amazed me that she'd never heard of them. It seemed like me mentioning 'Woolworths' and her saying '"Where?!"
Mind you, the reverse happened when she she said I should look in 'Boyes' ;-)
"That one!"
Chris

On the phones at till thing I have noticed my local doesn't have the phones there anymore and they do just have some flashing light thing. And a staff member who stands at some wooden block comes rushing over then goes searching.
Christ! Morrisons certainly appears to be taking a step back in time.

Last time I remember those being used in a supermarket near me was in 1996 in Sainsbury's! :shock:

I wonder whether they'll bring back the good olde tills and price stickers on invidual products? ;)
nwtv2003

IIRC the thing with the Flashing Green light is the special tube machine, where Cash Pods are sent up to the Cash Office, they also have a button for the intercom, which IIRC is at Cash Office. When all 3 lights are flashing it means that it is knackered.

And to quote "A Staff member at a wooden block", likely to be a Checkout supervisor, where there's loads of paperwork, it's like a crap office if anything.
Big Brother

nwtv2003 wrote:
IIRC the thing with the Flashing Green light is the special tube machine, where Cash Pods are sent up to the Cash Office, they also have a button for the intercom, which IIRC is at Cash Office. When all 3 lights are flashing it means that it is knackered.

And to quote "A Staff member at a wooden block", likely to be a Checkout supervisor, where there's loads of paperwork, it's like a crap office if anything.
Well they no longer have the phones sitting there and the wooden block normally has a folder on it and the staff member has a headset and that's it. No fancy office - the block is tiny lol