Mini Mac

I hate HTV West

Can't see that anyone has started a thread on these babies ...

http://www.apple.com/macmini/
James Hatts

http://www.apple.com/uk/macmini for UK pricing etc

(£339)
Andrew Muir

Yet another price hike for the brits then!
$499 in the US = £265 that’s £74 more than we should have to pay. That sort of thing really annoys me, however it looks a real stunning piece of kit.

I might have to get myself one, after I sell my iMac G3 500 DV that is! It's certainly a clever move for Apple to make though. Bringing it even more into the PC user’s territory. 'Its so small it can fit right next to your desktop PC!' I like the fact you can just plug in all your pc peripherals and away you go, makes for a nice little package. I now want to see an 'Apple white' monitor, keyboard and mouse KVM switch for it. That would tip me over the edge.

Here's a nice little image for you all!

Apple dont go in for announcing new products in a big way do they? I see there's a new iPod too, the iPod Shuffle! A nifty apple white usb pen drive by the looks of it.
cat

The problem with the iPod Shuffle is that, whilst Macs have their USB ports on the side, most PC users still have to fiddle around the back of the box for theirs.

Who the hell is going to want to pull out their PC every time they want to plug it in?

As for the Mac Mini, it's lovely. Looks like a sexy Tupperware box.
Sput

Oh cat, get with the times hun! Every half way decent PC case out there has USB ports on the front or at the side these days! :D
Knight knight
Big Brother

Mine doesn't.... but the snazzy external drive calling itself the "Media Centre" has digital camera memory readers, usb & firewire ports all handly positioned on the desktop - Because that's where I put it!
squawkBOX

Just a correction to the £70odd 'extra' that we have to pay. Remember in the US, everything is taxed when it is sold, so that $499 will go up.

When the price is converted from US$ to £. Its £263.66 then you have VAT @ 17.5% ontop of that bringing it to £310. So really only a £29 difference and when local tax is added in the US, that gap will be smaller.

So I say well done to Apple for launching their new products in the UK much cheaper than they did before. (remember the old days when they simply changed the $ to a £ sign)
I hate HTV West

cat wrote:The problem with the iPod Shuffle is that, whilst Macs have their USB ports on the side, most PC users still have to fiddle around the back of the box for theirs.

Who the hell is going to want to pull out their PC every time they want to plug it in?

As for the Mac Mini, it's lovely. Looks like a sexy Tupperware box.
You can get pretty cheap USB extension cables these days ... That way you don't have to fanny about at the back of the PC.
cat

I am not that bothered, because I have a Mac anyway and have no desire to get an ipod shuffle... but I still maintain that it is awkward.
I hate HTV West

cat wrote:I am not that bothered, because I have a Mac anyway and have no desire to get an ipod shuffle... but I still maintain that it is awkward.
I wasn't disputing that, I was just saying there are alternatives to shoving the shuffle into the side ... ahem.
Fireboy

My little brother wants one of those - but we're waiting until Tiger is released until we buy it.

Does anyone know if a Mac bought in December may be eligible for the cheap OS X Tiger upgrade offer (e.g. £20 to upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4)?