Smoking Ban in Scotland

Gavin Scott
Admin

I am absolutely gutted at today's decision by our (soon to be ex) First Minister on the matter of banning smoking from pubs/clubs/hotels and other public spaces in Scotland.

They have allowed exemptions to the ban for the following places:

Hospitals

Nursing Homes

Prisons

So let me get this straight; the old, ifirm and those who have had their liberty taken away have got more rights than I do.

Well I'm not having it. I intend to take steps.

The fact is that there are thousands of pubs and clubs in Scotland. It should have been at the Licencees discretion whether to impose a complete ban. Half (for example) could be no-smoking venues, the rest could allow smoking.

Studies have shown that passive smoking increases risk to non smokers by around 10%. But the critical data not spoken about is that the chances of a non-smoker developing respitory problems is so tiny that even a 10% increase through passive smoking is maginal. Compared to vehicle emmissions the risk is barely there.

Do we see a ban on cars, lorries and busses? No. In fact we see more cars on the road year on year and more roads to be filled. They spew exhaust fumes at ground level constantly.

In the recent consultation, 80% of the Scottish people agreed in priciple to a ban in public places, however when asked if there should be a complete band in pubs and clubs 80% said no.

I've just watched Jack McConnell evade that point live on Scotland Today. He said, "Oh well polls and consultations give differing results", totally ignoring the fact that this consultation (that he started) has had the biggest response of its kind EVER.

Its plain to see that he intends to make his name in history. As far as I can see he is running roughshod over the word of Scots; and I hope he rues the day he did.
Sput

Smoker, Gavin? ;)
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sput wrote:Smoker, Gavin? ;)
No sweetie, I'm just a libertarian with too much time on my hands.

Benson & Hedges, anyone?
Sput

I know just what you mean! I never put icky things near my mouth :P
Knight knight
marksi

Smoking makes you smelly. I don't snog blokes who smoke. It stinks.

It's anti-social. If you accept that you can't smoke in the cinema, in the office or on the bus or train, why do you think it's acceptable to smoke in pubs and clubs? It's a pity our politicians here in NI are completely useless - if there was a running Assembly at Stormont I'd expect them to introduce the same ban here.

On a slightly separate issue, why do such a high percentage of gay men and women smoke?
Gavin Scott
Admin

And to be fair, I worry when kissing non-smokers, in case it's smelly.

And then of course there are those non-smoking lads who *insist* I kiss them, and say they couldn't give a stuff if I've had a ciggy a minute before.

Yes yes. The lunatics that they are.

A movie or meal lasts an hour or so and I don't mind it one bit. A night in the pub>club can be hours and hours.

There is room for both, and I will accept segregation if that's what it takes.

If I were the only one, then ban me and send me packing. There are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of smokers. Millions, even? For heavens sake, give us a place we can all choose to go. You know, the 'bar the smelly smokers go to'. Choice is what is required.

Oh and by the way, being interviewed by BBC Scotland last night was the Irish bar maid who said she was horrified to note how smelly and sweaty people are in her pub, now the smokey mask has been lifted.
marksi

Ah well, the smell of sweat has never killed anyone...
Gavin Scott
Admin

marksi wrote:Ah well, the smell of sweat has never killed anyone...
That's true. People die of all sorts of things.
marksi

According to your First Minister 1 in 3 Scots die of a smoking related cause. A ban on deep-fried Creme Eggs can surely not be that far off.
Gavin Scott
Admin

marksi wrote:According to your First Minister 1 in 3 Scots die of a smoking related cause.
He says a lot of things. You'll learn to take each of them with a pinch of salt. Oh wait, that'll kill me too.
A ban on deep-fried Creme Eggs can surely not be that far off.
You're not wrong petal. Wait 'til the schemies hear aboot it.
Sput

Well I for one am outraged by this blatent disregard for the deep-fried creme egg eating public. Aside from the enormous cholesterol value, the links between creme egg intake has been in no way linked to human obesety and/or heart disease!
Knight knight