Smoking Ban in Scotland

Jamez
Banned

a pint and a ciggy go hand in hand. I was out tonight, and nearly EVERYONE was smoking. And as for people being put off by other people smoking...well, err...I never have any trouble pulling! :lol:
User Removed
9Qld

You guys are lucky u can still smoke outdoors. Here in Queensland (Australia) we're banned from smoking indoors, anywhere in public, plus from next year we're banned from smoking on beaches, within 10 metres of schools and childcare centres, and within 4 metres of building entrances. It's just lucky I don't smoke :)
markyboi

i personally think it's a great idea, i hate going out and coming up smelling of smoke with the back of my throat catching with the smoke.

AS for the Queensland ban, on beaches i see the point, it's not nice seeing douts littering a nice beach. Got enough fags on them with you being there Pete ;)
Gavin Scott
Admin

I'm more than happy to go to a smoking only venue - but why can't there be a few of those left?

Anyway - potential solution: For a nominal fee to each member, licenced venues can become private 'social clubs' and can therefore apply for exemption to the ban. There would be no need for non-smokers to attend such a venue, as by default they will have everywhere else to go.

I'm not happy that cigarette smoking has been set apart as the only deleterious habit; given the similarly dire health and social implications of alchohol use, but that's a matter for another day.

I'd like to think I'm a pragmatist. I see no reason why the 'social clubs' I mentioned above shouldn't enforce a 'no smoking at at bar' policy and have adequate air-conditioning/ventilation systems.

But I don't live in a haze like some film noir picture; the pub I drink in just isn't that smokey - and you can ask my non-smoking mates - who told me.
Dr Lobster*

Gavin Scott wrote:I'm more than happy to go to a smoking only venue - but why can't there be a few of those left?

Anyway - potential solution: For a nominal fee to each member, licenced venues can become private 'social clubs' and can therefore apply for exemption to the ban. There would be no need for non-smokers to attend such a venue, as by default they will have everywhere else to go.

I'm not happy that cigarette smoking has been set apart as the only deleterious habit; given the similarly dire health and social implications of alchohol use, but that's a matter for another day.

I'd like to think I'm a pragmatist. I see no reason why the 'social clubs' I mentioned above shouldn't enforce a 'no smoking at at bar' policy and have adequate air-conditioning/ventilation systems.

But I don't live in a haze like some film noir picture; the pub I drink in just isn't that smokey - and you can ask my non-smoking mates - who told me.
i agree with this entirely. when i went to ireland recently, the whole concept of having to stand outside in the freezing cold to have a smoke really ruined the pub experience. i'm not really a heavy smoker, but as jamez has said, sitting in the pub with a few mates with pint in one hand, bensons in the other is what going down the pub is all about and the pub which i frequent most weekends has dedicated smoking and non-smoking areas with proper ventilation. if you sit in the non-smoking area, you can't smell the smoke at all.
marksi

Gavin Scott wrote:I'm more than happy to go to a smoking only venue - but why can't there be a few of those left?

What about the staff who work there?
9Qld

markyboi wrote:i personally think it's a great idea, i hate going out and coming up smelling of smoke with the back of my throat catching with the smoke.

AS for the Queensland ban, on beaches i see the point, it's not nice seeing douts littering a nice beach. Got enough fags on them with you being there Pete ;)
Yeah... you'd know all about it wouldn't ya Markus? :P

I think climate conditions should be taken into account. Fair enough banning smoking indoors, but expecting people to go outside in freezing conditions is a bit tough. just have a separate room where everyone can go smoke.

On the other hand though... would it really kill ya to not have a smoke for a couple of hours when ya go out?
Ebeneezer Scrooge

Gavin Scott wrote:So let me get this straight; the old, ifirm and those who have had their liberty taken away have got more rights than I do.
What about my rights to breath clean air that won't kill me?
Snarky
Gavin Scott
Admin

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:So let me get this straight; the old, ifirm and those who have had their liberty taken away have got more rights than I do.
What about my rights to breath clean air that won't kill me?
You have liberty to drink where there is no smoke - I should have liberty to choose otherwise. Why is a non-smokers choice more important than mine? As far as I am concerned it isn't.

And marksi, your argument about staff not being subjected to smoke is fair - but that is why I would support 'no smoking at the bar' rules and make sure it is incumbent on the licencee to ensure a decent air conditioning system. There is no need for staff behind a bar to be aware of smoke in a bar where smoking is allowed.
Fireboy

"Smoking is now to be banned in most bars and pubs, and all workplaces in England by 2007. Exceptions are Private Working Men's Clubs and Pubs/Bars which do not sell any food other than Bar Snacks such as Crisps or Nuts".

We're all happy about it in this house, but we don't think it goes far enough. A restaurant a few doors away from us had smoking allowed, within a few days by popular demand it was banned. Just shows what the public REALLY want. Now that all Restaurants and Pubs will be doing this, all that needs be done is for them to GET A MOVE ON!