Massive speed boosts for ntl broadband users . . . ?

DJGM

Despite the fact that ntl:home has recently given customers to it's it's broadband internet speed upgrades at no extra cost,
"tabloidesque" tech news site TheRegister.co.uk has reported that ntl is preparing to give it's broadband services, massive
boosts early next year. Apparently, 300K will increase to 1Mb, 750K will go up to 2Mb, and 1.5MB will double to 3MB.
NTL looks set to take a big lead in the UK's broadband sector by ramping up speeds next year for
residential broadband customers while freezing prices. The move will leave a yawning gap
between NTL's offering and BT-based ADSL services.

NTL's entry level 300k service will be supercharged to 1Mb while still costing £17.99
a month. Its new 2Mb service will cost £24.99 while 3Mb will cost £37.99.

The speed increases will be rolled out to new customers during the first 3 months of next year,
although existing customers must cough up a £25 "administration fee" to make the switch.

Industry insiders reckon BT will have to follow suit or risk
losing out, following this latest shake-up to hit the sector.

NTL chief exec Simon Duffy said: "To retain our leadership position in broadband, we will
be increasing the speeds of our ntl: Home products in Q1 2005 to 1Mb, 2Mb and 3Mb at
existing prices. This decision reflects our determination to ensure that we will always
have the most competitive range of broadband products in the marketplace."
Since this is being reported on a site that takes a somewhat tabloidesque, and slightly cynical approach to some of the
articles it publishes, I'm going to take this news with a pinch of salt, and wait to see if it's also reported on other sites.
But, if these forthcoming speed boosts are definitely coming to ntl:home broadband customers early next year, as
well as the high speeds currently offered to Telewest users, BT Broadband maybe about to get it's arse kicked.

As I subscribe to ntl:home 1.5MB broadband, I'll be following developments to this news with interest . . .

The full article at TheRegister.co.uk can be found here.

UPDATE @ 04:25:
ISPReview.co.uk has more info about these ntl broadband speed boosts - but there will be usage restrictionns applied . . .
£17.99 per month: ntl 1Mb Broadband (monthly usage allowance 5GB) will offer super speed broadband
for 60p a day. For the same price BT Broadband offers a basic 512K service with 1GB usage allowance.

£24.99 per month: ntl 2Mb Broadband (monthly usage allowance 30GB) will operate at a
stunning speed, but at a price that’s in line with most 512K ADSL services. For the same
price BT Broadband offers a 512K service with 15GB usage allowance

£37.99 per month: ntl 3Mb Broadband (monthly usage allowance 40GB)
will operate at up to 60 times faster than dial up services.
More info at ISPReview.co.uk . . .
Chris

You I certainly won't be going for it. Having high speed broadband with such a limit is a bit pointless if you ask me.

It's like the old days of dial up again - having to monitor your usage to ensure you do not go over a limit. :roll: :evil:

And no wonder they call it Rip off Britain?!
sparkybpotter

1 - The caps havent been confirmed that's just speculation.
2- THe caps(except for the 1mb tier) seem to be very generous compared to others in this country. But i do think that 5mb whoever heard this probably got this wrong, but im probably wrong though.
3 - I for one will except this upgrade.
dvboy

This is why I've just downgraded to 300k, so that when it goes up to 1Mb it's already done. I don't really need it any faster than 600k anyway.
Martin

Got the flyer in ages ago that my area was getting upgraded (original) in december, can't say I've noticed much difference.
Jamez
Banned

The only reason I'm with NTL is purely because their cables were installed at my house. I don't have a BT phoneline, so I just use NTL for phone and broadband.

I'm on the 750k package, which the average download speed is around 80 or 90 kbps, which isn't too bad.
User Removed