Ghosts

cat

I have just come back home from university to look after my parents' house for 10 days whilst they are away on holiday.

It is a fairly big and old house, and from an early age i've always been a bit spooked walking around it. It stopped bothering me as I got older, but ressurected itself last time I was house-sitting. I was sitting down in one of the rooms, when I had the distinct feeling that there was something sitting in the chair across the other side of the room. It came from nowhere, but I couldn't take my eyes off it for some reason. Couldn't take my eyes off it until the light in that far corner of the room went out by itself (all the others stayed on) and I legged it out of the room.

So am I going mad? I don't believe in the afterlife or God, etc. Ever seen a ghost?
Big Brother

Hmmm, Now I'm mixed on this kind of thing.

I think there is a logical & scientific explanation for most paranormal activity - like your story there and don't believe all these "ghosts" exist.

HOWEVER I do believe there are things in our existance we & science can't explain because we know nothing about. I feel the same on the Alien front. In this sense I do believe that "ghosts" do exist.

See I've contradicted myself. I believe that such existance is real, but with all these stories I just think there is a logical explanation to everything.

The typical "someone is watching me" feeling is nothing more than a fear of not being able to see what's there. Your most likely to feel this while on your own or in a quiet area. The fact you can't see what's behind you or to the side of you worries you. An experiment. Try walking alone along a quiet street at night. You'll find yourself looking back every so often to see if someone else is there etc. On one occasion don't look back. I can bet you that you'll feel someone following you but when you turn round there won't be anyone there.

A common thing to be seen is what's known as "orbs" Now from my point of view looking at everything caught on camera etc they've only been caught on camera! Flies, dust & minute metal particles can reflect and cause such abnormalities on a photo or video footage.

I most certainly think that the "after-life" is nothing more than the person who died living their life in a replica world and state which exists in the same world but is not visable by either parties (the living & the dead) until, if possible, there is some abnormality in their existances which could lead to one seeing the other and vice versa.

I hope people understand that. I find it confusing myself but I know what I mean. You can't really explain something we know nothing about.

Edit: In your instance I believe that your fear set in of being alone with it being an old house and not being able to see what, if anything was there. A mixture of lighting and shadows probably drew your attention to it. As for the light going out, I suspect it could be just the bulb blowing or a fault which caused the light to switch to an off state. Your attention may have been drawn to that area by a noise coming from the light/bulb having the fault thus making you feel someone was there yet the incident being totally explainable.

Have you checked the light since this happened?
cat

Big Brother wrote:
Edit: In your instance I believe that your fear set in of being alone with it being an old house and not being able to see what, if anything was there. A mixture of lighting and shadows probably drew your attention to it. As for the light going out, I suspect it could be just the bulb blowing or a fault which caused the light to switch to an off state. Your attention may have been drawn to that area by a noise coming from the light/bulb having the fault thus making you feel someone was there yet the incident being totally explainable.

Have you checked the light since this happened?
I wasn't scared in the room, though. I was perfectly happy and for whatever reason I just looked at the chair and had the overwhelming feeling that there was someone sitting in it. I've sat in that room alone for years and nothing has ever bothered me about it... I could see the chair clearly, the lighting was normal, there were no shadows moving, etc.

I have checked the light, and it is working fine. There wasn't a noise coming from the light before I looked at it, etc. I wouldn't have been remotely bothered by it if the light had been going on and off and the bulb blew up... but that isn't what happened.
rts

I was along in my house during the day yesterday, and was fiddling with my laptop when I had an overwhelming feeling that someone was standing behind me. Of course nobody was there, but it's a sensation I've had a couple of times, and only in my room.

It could be something to do with light-refraction or something, but it really was a genuine sensation that someone/thing was directly behind me.
Big Brother

CraigF wrote:
Big Brother wrote:Hmmm, Now I'm mixed on this kind of thing.

I think there is a logical & scientific explanation for most paranormal activity - like your story there and don't believe all these "ghosts" exist.
Of course there's going to be a scientific explanation - but this implies that ghosts aren't scientifically explanable.

The typical "someone is watching me" feeling is nothing more than a fear of not being able to see what's there. Your most likely to feel this while on your own or in a quiet area. The fact you can't see what's behind you or to the side of you worries you. An experiment. Try walking alone along a quiet street at night. You'll find yourself looking back every so often to see if someone else is there etc. On one occasion don't look back. I can bet you that you'll feel someone following you but when you turn round there won't be anyone there.
That's a pretty strong statement to make, but I don't think this is applicable in all cases! Scientific experiments HAVE been carried out and the results show that we DO have a sixth-sense and can detect when we're being watched.

I've lived in a haunted house myself and this was a major thing that was happening. But of course, I am open to other explanations too. I'm sure the same effect could be stimulated from other sources - like electromagnetic anomalies having an effect upon the brain.
A common thing to be seen is what's known as "orbs" Now from my point of view looking at everything caught on camera etc they've only been caught on camera! Flies, dust & minute metal particles can reflect and cause such abnormalities on a photo or video footage.
I was fascinated by orbs at first, when shown on Most Haunted, but people have got carried away. I decided to do my own little experiment. I sprinkled some talcum powder in the air, took a flash picture and the outcome was thousands of orbs.

I think this may explain SOME photographs (probably most), especially outdoors.
I most certainly think that the "after-life" is nothing more than the person who died living their life in a replica world and state which exists in the same world but is not visable by either parties (the living & the dead) until, if possible, there is some abnormality in their existances which could lead to one seeing the other and vice versa.
I think there's more than the "afterlife". I don't think there is an end to anything, just infinite lives and infinite lessons to learn in different states of conciousness. Animals being the one before us, and something else after us.
Yes... but this experiment was constructed of 2 LIVING people. One on each side of mirror or something. Not exactly conclusive and there was a lot more to it than just knowing they were being watched.

The sensation of being watched is a fear of not being able to see what is to the side of you or behind you. You may not feel scared about it but the sensation is enough for your brain to feel fear.

Ghost, Aliens & the Afterlife. I don't think we can scientifcally explain any of them. From science we've got all these wonderful metals and elements etc etc. How do we know this is them all, I think those three things listed here are unexplainable by our version of Science. I think the likes of Ghosts, Aliens & the Afterlife are out of our explainable knowledge. Ghosts I do believe are an abnormality between the Living and the Afterlive causing them to be seen. The afterlive I do strongly believe is all around us. The dead living their life in our world, but completely unseen and unknown to us. And vice versa for them.

This is an interesting debate to have but it can get quite opinionated and complex when you think about it. A bit like space.... how exactly do we know it's just space? Is it scientifically possible for "space" to continue infinatly? Are we the ONLY living lifeformns that can talk and live lifes as we do? Are we the only lifeform here? What's the point in life? ...... What is the meaning of life?

Just to quickly go back. You say you've lived in a Haunted House. How EXACTLY do you know it's haunted? Becuase your Mum said so. Because your Mums Mum said so? Because this book said so? Because some old geezer said so? How EXACTLY DO YOU KNOW that that house is indeed haunted. Do you have conclusive proof. You see what I'm getting at here.

Now I'll be off. I have to go an meet the Loch Ness Monster.
James Martin

I don't know if ghosts exist or not, but I do believe you are "watched upon" by deceased loved ones.
rts

James Martin wrote:I don't know if ghosts exist or not, but I do believe you are "watched upon" by deceased loved ones.
I bloody hope not.
fusionlad

I've never seen a ghost, but wouldn't mind seeing one for the experience.

My friends house in Swansea seems to be haunted. A figure has been seen in the kitchen doorway by different people on a few occasions.

Why wont ghosts come and haunt me for a change? :cry:
Big Brother

There is no end to this little debate. Everyone has their own opinions etc.

The thing about being watched isn't just related to being watched. It's all to do with your brain & body. Because you sense something there etc but can't see what the body fears what it can't see or explain in a rational manor. It's yet again more scientific mumbo-jumbo to do with the brain and your senses.

No simple answer... if there is an answer at all.
all new Phil

Well I'll be buggered if I know.

We live in an old house in the middle of nowhere, and sometime many years ago, a man shot himself by accident in our front room whilst cleaning his gun. We didn't know about this until a few months back, but we had noticed many times that our front room would go freezing cold at the same time every afternoon. Of course that could probably be easily explained somehow. Also, every now and then there is a strong smell of tobacco in the house, despite noone smoking. The man apparently smoked a pipe when he lived in the house.

It's a bit freaky really - his blood was probably splattered all over the wall, and was probably still there when he had the room re-plastered when we bought it. But hey, if our house is haunted, he seems a nice guy because nothing nasty has ever happened.