Where you stand on "the issues"

MrTomServo

With all this talk in the US about the presidential candidates avoiding talking about "the issues", it makes me wonder what everyone thinks about "the issues" exactly. Moreover, what precisely are "the issues"? I've compiled a list from both candidates' websites, edited it a bit, and pared it down to the "hottest issues" (at least in the US). And, I've added what I think ... I'm not a democrat or republican, but I sure as heck ain't voting for W.

In alphabetical order:
I wrote:Abortion, Foetal
I do not think that foetal abortion should be used as a method of birth control. There are plenty of other methods of birth control. If you make a baby (by "accident" or otherwise ... but come on, grow up) you have to deal with the consequences. Give the baby up for adoption if you have to, but don't kill the thing.

Education
The current administration's policy of introducing new standardised tests to measure students' performance is backwards. Soon, teachers will be doing nothing but instructing students on how to pass the test, and not teaching them in the context of actually giving them information they need later in life. Government standardised testing should be abolished, and teachers should have a greater responsibility to assess their students' performance.

Energy
Dependence on oil needs to be significantly reduced by the end of the decade. Power generation through hydrogen research, biomass fuels, and reliable nuclear technologies must be encouraged.

Environment, The
The United States should accept the guidelines set out by the 1998 Kyoto Agreement.

Health Insurance, Government-sponsored
I think those familiar with the NHS and its policies know that a health care system with 300 million people in it will not be a fast-responding, carefully-monitored, and well-managed enterprise. Subsidise healthcare for the poor by funding a government programme that pays private insurers to provide free health care.

Marriage, Gay
A generic "union license" should be available from the Federal government, and would allow any two people (of legal age) to join. Straight couples could get "married", but there would be no government definition of the term. Any couple with the license would be entitled to the same public and legal benefits.

Minimum Wage, The
The minimum wage should be tied directly to inflation, and should be revised annually for the forseeable future.

Policy, Foreign
The United States must make a concerted effort to become a friendly neighbour with Canada, Mexico, Europe and the Far East. The US must fully participate in and cooperate with the World Court and other regulatory bodies (see Environment, The).

Taxes, Federal
A flat income tax for all incomes over $20,000 per annum should replace the antiquated and complex income tax system in place now. All income taxes will be assessed individually, and not jointly (as with married couples today). Income reporting would stay the same, but the confusing deductions, capital gains, marriage, and death "penalties" will disappear.

War in Iraq, The
Though the war may have started under dubious circumstances, our job is no longer to cast blame, but to fix what's been done. Iraq should set up a government that is free and open, and it should do this willingly. The United Nations should be installed as the interim peace-keeping authority, not the United States. Coalition troops should be rotated out of Iraq as quickly as possible. A fair and equitable multinational reconstruction authority should be established to allow the world to help rebuild Iraq, and reap the benefits down the road.
mikejprz

See my responses below:

Abortion, Foetal Do not agree

Education Do not understand the American education system anyway!!

Energy Agreed!

Environment, The Agreed........it will never happen under Bush though!

Health Insurance, Government-sponsored I think the NHS is a better concept than the American system - everyone is equal etc!

Marriage, Gay Yep!

Minimum Wage, The I am surprised it isn't linked to inflation....then again neither is the UK version! SOmething to think about!

Policy, Foreign The US really needs to pull its finger out here!!!!

Taxes, Federal Can't be any more confusing that UK Tax. I know, I work in the Tax Department of a big Accountancy firm!!!

War in Iraq, The Very badly thought out but deep down the right decision.....just could of been handled a lot better!
cat

MrTomServo wrote: Policy, Foreign
The United States must make a concerted effort to become a friendly neighbour with Canada, Mexico, Europe and the Far East. The US must fully participate in and cooperate with the World Court and other regulatory bodies (see Environment, The).
LOL. Canada, Mexico, Europe and the Far East... that would leave, erm, Africa. Of course, those two have never been the best of friends but best not to offend them now that we are about to go in an pillage all of their oil and mineral supplies when it runs out elsewhere - likewise for the former USSR states; Georgia, etc.
Jamez
Banned

cat wrote:
best not to offend them now that we are about to go in an pillage all of their oil and mineral supplies when it runs out
We? So you're an American now, eh?
User Removed
MrTomServo

cat wrote:
MrTomServo wrote: Policy, Foreign
LOL. Canada, Mexico, Europe and the Far East... that would leave, erm, Africa. Of course, those two have never been the best of friends but best not to offend them now that we are about to go in an pillage all of their oil and mineral supplies when it runs out elsewhere - likewise for the former USSR states; Georgia, etc.
Well, I was going for the closest neighbours to the contiguous 48 states.