PLEASE, PLEASE, Help.... SERIOUS.

Katherine

I have had awful news - My grandfather is seriously ill in hospital - aneurysm. The hardest thing is that I've heard from my uncle about half an hour ago that he might not survive the operation he's undergoing right now. He is 86 years old, the operation is going on in Portsmouth.

I want to go down there to be with the other members of my family who will be there like my grandmother, my uncle and aunt. I am at home alone as my parents are in Cornwall celebrating their wedding anniversary. They have been informed. the only way I can get to Portsmouth is by train, but the journey down there will be expensive as it involves crossing London. My parents want me to hold fire until more news is known, but my strong gut feeling is to go regardless of cost.

Advice please?
Pilgrim Hospital Radio, Boston, Lincolnshire - Monday - Friday 19:00 - 22:00.

The place where broadcasting careers begin!!

Image - BADGER BADGER!
fusionlad

If you are very close to your Grandfather, I would get down there as soon as you could. You may regret not being there sooner.

If it doesn't help the situation though, and you are not real close, hang fire. Best wishes.

EDIT: National Express Boston to Portsmouth is £30. Change at London.
cwathen

If you've not allready gone, I think you should go. The biggest regret of my life was that two years ago when my grandad was in hospital and I took other people's advice to go home and get some rest against my gut feeling, the worst happened and I wasn't there (nor was anyone else).

I hope your Grandfather pulls through, if he does he will be pleased to see you (which might aid his recovery), and if he unfortunately doesn't, you will be glad that you went - and will regret it if you don't. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd offer to give you a lift down, but £30 isn't a lot of money to make this very important trip.
Katherine

A rather unwelcome development - my Grandfather survived the operation, but not long afterwards, he developed complications and sadly, passed away at about 05:30 this morning. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Parents have cut short their holiday and are going to be with my Grandmother, uncle and aunt. They have told me NOT to travel and to hold the fort at home, which I will do.

I will miss him immensely; I was very close to him, he was a corporal in the Second World War, responsible for the routing and surveying of things like roads and railways. He's recently been on Radio 4 telling all about his wartime exploits and on the BBC site, shared his wartime memories with the wider public. If you like, you can read his memories, at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/A2459162

He's a great storyteller!

He and my grandmother were staunch supporters of the Royal Family, and I am very pleased that he lived long enough to receive the card from the Queen that is sent on a couple's Diamond Wedding Anniversary earlier this year.

Goodbye Grandad, I will miss you a lot. All my undying love and admiration, Katherine.
Pilgrim Hospital Radio, Boston, Lincolnshire - Monday - Friday 19:00 - 22:00.

The place where broadcasting careers begin!!

Image - BADGER BADGER!
Gavin Scott
Admin

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Kat.

Take heart in the knowledge that no one ever really leaves us as long as we remember them.
Neil Jones

Katherine wrote:A rather unwelcome development - my Grandfather survived the operation, but not long afterwards, he developed complications and sadly, passed away at about 05:30 this morning. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sorry to hear that :(
Ben

I'm sorry to hear about your loss too. I think Gavin has it spot on when he said..
Gavin Scott wrote:Take heart in the knowledge that no one ever really leaves us as long as we remember them.
cwathen

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, Katherine.
MrTomServo

That's terrible news, Kat. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Joe Public

My thoughts are with you and your family. Take care.
In connection with my cr*p spelling I would like to anotate all my posts with (sp?)