Gmail from Google

Pete

GMail, in case you were unaware, is Google's fab new 1gb email service that is rivaling Hotmail and Yahoo (the latter of which has recently upped it's storage to 100mb and the former will be soon after waiting to see what Yahoo did first).

Also it uses a conversation structure to keep emails tidy, uses "labels" instead of folders for more flexable filing and has a google search for the emails themselves.

The most *controversial* issue is the adverts. Whereas MSN and Yahoo use banner ads gmail uses a varient of the Google AdSense service which scans your emails and then puts related text ads next to it. Privicy paranoids think it's the devils work but you do have to push that "I Agree" button and it's not that different from spam filtering really.

Anyhow, apart from talking about how fab it is and gloating because I have one, I was wondering if we have an other GMail uses on Metrorant and what they think of it.

Personally I'd like to see POP3 access so I can use Outlook (although I'd leave the messages on the server at the same time) and a better Address Book as the current one is primative to say the least.

Oh and if anyone wants one of my 12 remaining invites just ask.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Chris

Can I have one? ;)
DJGM

I signed up for GMail earlier this week, thanks to a member of the SilyDog701 Message Centre (forums
upon which I'm one of the moderators) sent me an invite, to sign up to GMail's beta test of the service.

So far, I've not had much chance to have a good look at it, but what I've seen so far seems good . . .
sparkybpotter

you can use a program called pop goes the gmail, to get pop3 contections to outlook!
Pete

sparkybpotter wrote:you can use a program called pop goes the gmail, to get pop3 contections to outlook!
yes I've read about this, haven't tried it as yet but I'd prefer it to be natively supported.
Cheese Head
Banned

Hymagumba wrote:GMail, in case you were unaware, is Google's fab new 1gb email service that is rivaling Hotmail and Yahoo (the latter of which has recently upped it's storage to 100mb and the former will be soon after waiting to see what Yahoo did first).
Poor ol' Hymagumba. You have got something wrong. 1000MB isn't a whole GB, 1024 MB makes a <u>whole</u> GB.

Anyway, I've joined a mailing list sort of thing for further information. Hotmail is annoying because I have to sign in every 30 days and can only keep 2MB. Not to mention you can only send about 1 MB. I'm not sure what GMail offers, but anything can be better than that.
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
Pete

Cheese Head wrote:Poor ol' Hymagumba. You have got something wrong. 1000MB isn't a whole GB, 1024 MB makes a <u>whole</u> GB.
GB obviously means "googlebyte" which is nearly a gigabyte. You are right mind you, it's just been refered to as a gig so many times on ninternet it's got embedded in my brain. The bit at the bottom of the screen though does say "1000MB"

Joining the mailing list does sod all.