Help! Internet Explorer isn't closing!

Joel2

Hiya,

Just a tincy problem here for you! I can open up as many Internet Explorer browsers as I want, but can only close them if they are on aboutblank! Every time I press 'X' or File > Close or right clicking on the thing at the bottom and clicking 'Close' or Alt + F4 it just beeps at me and doesn't do anything. Ctrl + Alt + Delete closes every single borwser I've got open (even if I only click it to close one) but only after a while.
What do I have to do!!

Ta,
Joel.
xxx
Neil Jones

Usually means its locked up or a plug-in has done something it shouldn't, or its interferred with the shell.

Does it always happen on loading certain sites? Or is it random?

I feel sure Hyma and others will come along with unhelpful suggestions like "use another browser". :roll:
Pete

Well it is a useful suggestion.

Sounds like some some sort of trojan horse oe something - have a look around the startup items in msconfig to see if tehre is anything fishy, and run ad-aware.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
MarkN

Hi Joel,

Perhaps you could try one of the following (if you haven't already done so):

1. Run a virus scanner on your computer (e.g. Norton, F-Prot, McAffe etc.)
2. As Hymagumba has already suggested, run a "spyware scanner" on your computer (two I have heard of are AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy).

The more drastic options:
3. Re-install your operating system.
4. The so-called "unhelpful suggestion" - try another browser, such as Mozilla. If you do not wish to re-install your OS, this may be your only option. You never know, you might just prefer it to Internet Explorer!

Hope this helps,
Neil Jones

MarkN wrote:4. The so-called "unhelpful suggestion" - try another browser, such as Mozilla. If you do not wish to re-install your OS, this may be your only option. You never know, you might just prefer it to Internet Explorer!
Perhaps I should have been more clear.

When I said "unhelpful suggestion" in regards to the solution of "use another browser", I did of course mean when its offered with no attempt made to solve it first BEFORE suggesting the use of another browser.

Just thought I'd clear that up.
Chris

MarkN wrote:The more drastic options:
3. Re-install your operating system.
It is possible to reinstall IE6 on XP without wiping the whole system. I have read that it is possible, however I am not sure if it works or not. Do at your own risk.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_ie_reinstall.htm
cdd

Well, I tried Mozilla Firefox for two weeks, promising myself to stick to it, and after that 2-week period I've never changed back!
Joel2

Don't worry people! My internet seems to have sorted itself out - which is odd seeing as I haven't done anything! My brother has probably done something!!

Thank you all for you help,
Joel.
xxx

(It probably got scared when I went onto the Mozilla website!)
Pete

There always used to be a rumour that IE would fix itself if you went to netscape.com. Maybe one of the patches from WindowsUpdate added Mozilla to the list :D

I'd still advise running a spyware program if you brother didn't already do so.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Joel2

Hymagumba wrote:There always used to be a rumour that IE would fix itself if you went to netscape.com. Maybe one of the patches from WindowsUpdate added Mozilla to the list :D

I'd still advise running a spyware program if you brother didn't already do so.
Thanks!

Hyma, you'll be extremely happy to know I'm converted. I've found the wonders of Firefox! Woo!

Joel.
xxx