The Price of Petrol

russnet

Here in my home town of Milton Keynes, the price of unleaded is 82.9p which means it's only three more pennies until we get to the blockade stage that we encounted in September 2000.

It seems the price is creeping up fast and does not include the extra penny or so the Chancellor will make in the Autumn.

Have the media gone all quiet about this now as I remember back then there was months of speculation of what will happen and how to get the price down but it's all too quiet for comfort.

I personally think the price is far too high. In the 8 years I have been driving, the price has practically doubled and lets face it, even if the Tony Liar party doesnt get relected in the next election. I can't exactly see the Tories pushing the price down much.

The only time I've seen the price come down in their sixites was when the terrible Trade Centre crash happened. Anyway, that's my little gripe over with!
James Martin

And when the Red Dragon FM DJ said it was going to be back on - and it wasn't!

Fantastic stuff.
Pete

typical townie attitude there cb.

Petrol prices cannot rise any futher. If they do it should only be in metropolitan areas where there are viable alternatives such as regular bus services and trams,

Out here in the country not only is petrol more expensive but it's needed more. There is one bus from my village and everywhere round here is spaced out considerably. Cars are needed.

Now until the govt can get off their arse and sort of public transport or we get proper electric cars the price cannot go any further, it's absurd.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
tvmercia

Hymagumba wrote:typical townie attitude there cb.

Petrol prices cannot rise any futher. If they do it should only be in metropolitan areas where there are viable alternatives such as regular bus services and trams,

Out here in the country not only is petrol more expensive but it's needed more. There is one bus from my village and everywhere round here is spaced out considerably. Cars are needed.

Now until the govt can get off their arse and sort of public transport or we get proper electric cars the price cannot go any further, it's absurd.
*RADICAL IDEA* if you are too poor to live in the sticks - move to a city, where petrol stations are more profitable, and there is more competition - so the oil companies can and do offer competitive prices.

do not give us any of this "please subsidise us" nonsense - "we were forced to live in the middle of no-where at gunpoint" - you want the scenic views and joys of living out of the city - but are not prepared to pay the price. *tsk*

and for the record, yes, prices are creeping up and up and up. even supermarket prices are extortionate these days. lets hope a fuel protest coincides with the election, whenever that is. that might put the willies up tony.
Pete

*ANOTHER Radical Idea* Have you seen city house prices Andy?

I don't want subsidised - I'm not a farmer. I just think there should be a cap on petrol prices to stop us being ripped off by garages just because they can get away with it.

I did enjoy the fuel crisis though, that was fun.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cwathen

What I remember about the last fuel protest is that if the blockade could somehow have been kept under wraps, most garages would not have run out of fuel at all - it was only panic buying which caused the problem.

Everyone did it of course, I've lost counts of the number of people who said it was stupid and uncessary to panic buy on the one hand but put in £45 worth of petrol on the other.

I do agree that prices are ridiculous now. It was only 3 or so years ago that most garages sold a litre of unleaded for about 65p. And when you consider that in America, petrol prices are only around the equivalent of 35-40p per litre, the prices in this country are ridiculous.

What I do remember however is that about 18 months or so ago, fuel prices were slightly higher than they are now, and then seemingly overnight they dropped back down to the 73.9 mark.

As long as the emergency services are not affected (which they weren't, they were never even close to running out of fuel, despite the scaremongering), I wouldn't mind another fuel strike to drive prices back down. Most people will be able to fill their car up at least once before the petrol runs out, and it will never last more than about 2 weeks. Having to be choosy about when I drive my car for a couple of weeks in return for a couple of years of lower prices is well worth it imo.
russnet

From what I remember, the price got to 85.9p in September 2000 and due to protests or whatever made it happened, the price dropped from 85.9 to 79.9p. The price slowly trickled down a few pennies before the World Trade Disaster took it down to 68.9p round my way and since the end of 2001, it has trickled it's way back up.

The thing I hate about where I live is that you only need to drive 8 miles away from the town centre and the petrol is 6p cheaper!.

The other thing I hate is there is no competition here but a form of a monopoly between the garages. Everytime one garage puts the price up, within 24 hours, the others will do the same. So basically whether you go around here, youi will always pay the same, whatever the garage.
nwtv2003

I hope they put the price up again - I think the protest was fab, it brought the whole country to a stand still. It was actually very bizarre - I can remember people rushing around and on the radio it would say "The Tesco garage on Main Street has just got a delivery, get it while you can" and there would be a mad rush for petrol.

Anyway, if nothing else, raising the prices means people may be pursuaded to opt for electronic cars.
That would be cool if it happened again, that was fantastic in a way, great for those who don't drive, I remember going down to Morrisons one afternoon and I had never seen it so quiet, the car park was empty, the petrol station was dry and there was only about 3 people in store!
MrTomServo

Well, here in San Diego (which has the most expensive gasoline/petrol/whatever prices in the nation), the cost is $2.20/USgal which equals (if my math is correct) about 33p/L.

So now you can see why the US went to war over oil prices.* :roll:

*Yes, yes, I know most of the UK's cost for fuel is road taxes, but that didn't make for a very good punchline, now did it?

Ed Hammond

Sounds about right!

I don't know whether US prices are ridiculously low or ours are ridiculously high - personally, I think the former.

They'll go up plenty in a few years time, anyway. North Sea Oil is running out...
russnet

Ooh we can even see you with the camera! So we know who to lynch the next time the price goes up at that petrol station!