Re: Outlook emails after XP Reinstall

Chris

nodnirG kraM wrote:Evening all. Right yesterday I reinstalled Win XP on my second hard drive for .. various reasons which I won't go into now, BUT! Does anyone know how I can retrieve my old emails and Outlook Express account settings etc from my other hard drive?

Basically my D:\ is now my C:\ and has the XP system files; my C:\ is now my D:\ and still has all the old XP system files intact. Everything is still there, I just don't quite know where!!

Can anyone help? I'll give you a lolly if you do.
Billy G seems to go out of his way to ensure you can't see your email folders. Why I'm not sure but that's Microsoft for you :roll:

The files are usually located in a hidden folder, so if you have not done so already switch off the hiding of files.

Then go to d:\documents and settings\your user name\local settings\application data\identities\(long string of numbers and letters)\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Go to d:\documents and settings\your user name\local settings\application data\identities\ and navigate from there - the long sting of numbers and letters is different for each user/machine.

You should see a load of dbx files - these are your mail folders and you will need to copy them to c:\documents and settings\your user name\local settings\application data\identities\(long string of numbers and letters)\Microsoft\Outlook Express to be able to see the items.

As for importing the settings, not sure if this is possible without going to the other installation and exporting the settings and then re importing them on the new installation.