Work Experience

Cheese Head
Banned

Well, this week instead of school I've gone to the DHL call center for a week of work experience.

I dont do much, so far i've listend into some calls, and buggerd up the photo copier.

What have you all done for work experience during year 10? Anything better than "Hello DHL how can I help you?"
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
Aston

God, way back in 1997 I worked for a company for a week called SIS Mobiles - they used to provide they horse racing coverage for The Racing Channel.

It was great fun, I got to go to Epsom and everything!

I learned a lot that week, especially how much the crew swears during OBs! :lol:
Fireboy

I'm supposed to be going to work in the IT Department of a Frozen Food company (International Cusine) in July. Haven't got confirmation yet - if I don't get it I'll probably end up with an office placement.
Gareth

I got quite a good placement in year 10 (well for me anyway).

I was working with the headworks (drinking water supply before it reaches the treatment plant) controllers of the Longdendale reservoir system (Glossop, South Manchester) for one week which was great fun. I was helped by being the 1st person ever to be placed there that had actually chosen to be there, so the staff were really enthusiastic.

The second week was spent at various water treatment works in that area where i learnt alot about water treatment and various 'holes' in the system!
nwtv2003

For mine I went back to my Primary School, I did apply for the BBC as I had an interest, they did send me back some information but I didn't do it as you had to be over 18 or to be in London. :( But I still have it somewhere.

I did nothing but help the teacher for two weeks, the same one who taught me, I found it useful, but I couldn't put up with the kids all of the time, as they were annoying at times! The good thing was that I only started a few minutes before the kids and left a few minutes after them, the downside was it required a long bus journey each day. :evil:

The majority of people I knew went to work with their dad's in some office in the middle of nowhere, but I knew someone who was put at Asda as he didn't do a self placement. A teacher told me once that two lads were sent to work for Toys R Us, but they were back at school within 2 days for messing around with stock.

The good thing is it gets Year 10 out of school for 2 weeks which is a blessing, so that will happen again in May!
iSon

Office placements are the best thing to do. They require little hard graft and many of the middle aged workers will be glad to talk to a new "young man" in the office. Just be good at making the tea.

I did my work experience at a company called Brose. I worked in the quality control department - was a great laugh and got a great reference from them too. Which was nice.

And lo-and behold. I'm now working in a (much smaller) office - and it's brill. The fact that I knew all the people beforehand and that my brother is manager has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Good Lord!
Cheese Head
Banned

The people in the office are really friendly and aproachable. I do enjoy the general natter, but it does get a bit dull.

we have free coffee machines so people just fetch it themselves.

The Millenium House (The call center) is a really nice modern building, that even has a round turning door.
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
DAS

I ended up at a local infants school because it was minutely better than doing anything else. But I found I really really enjoyed it and ended up spending a good few months there. The kids and the staff were enthusiastic and glad to see us, because it was a novelty getting work experience people from a boys' grammar school. It was great to see the little darlings grow up around you. It will probably never contribute anything to my career path, but it was a really enjoyable experience and something I'm glad I did.
Chris

What should I do for a placement? I have no idea where to start! :(
Neil Jones

When I was in Year 10 back in 1995/6 it was where you did one week of work experience in year 10 and another one in year 11. Since then they've changed it to one two week block instead of two one week blocks six months apart.

Anyway, in Year 10 I worked in one of the departments of the local council for a week and year 11 I was at the local Our Price, which has since turned into Virgin which has since closed down and disappeared to be replaced with something unknown.
markyboi

Cheese Head wrote:Well, this week instead of school I've gone to the DHL call center for a week of work experience.

I dont do much, so far i've listend into some calls, and buggerd up the photo copier.

What have you all done for work experience during year 10? Anything better than "Hello DHL how can I help you?"
oooooooh *looks my dad's van to see the DHL number*

He works for DHL you see heh