Windows Media Player Still capture

Anonymous

I played a DVD through Windows Media Players & pressed print screen so that I could save a copy of a still from the DVD. However when I did this the same thing happened as what used to happen with Real Player until I fixed the problem, which was the image would only appear if the window was open.

I fixed this with Real Player & would like to do the same with Windows Media Player. Could anyone help me with this please as Real Player doesn't play DVD's properly

Any help is appriciated
MarkN

I think I can remember doing this for someone once before... it was a while ago, so I might get it wrong:

1. Click the Tools menu, then Options
2. Click the Video Performance tab (?)
3. There are some advanced options there somewhere - one of them is for video overlays. Try changing that.

If these instructions make no sense, then Microsoft must have changed the settings of Windoze Media Player since the version I had to use, or my memory is worse than I thought!

Hope this helps,
Neil Jones

MarkN wrote:I think I can remember doing this for someone once before... it was a while ago, so I might get it wrong:

1. Click the Tools menu, then Options
2. Click the Video Performance tab (?)
3. There are some advanced options there somewhere - one of them is for video overlays. Try changing that.

If these instructions make no sense, then Microsoft must have changed the settings of Windoze Media Player since the version I had to use, or my memory is worse than I thought!
Tools --> Options --> Performance Tab --> Advanced button in the Video Overlays section.
MarkN

Nearly right! :-)
cwathen

It's not really a problem - WMP and Realplayer and most applications which play video use the overlay mode of the graphics driver. This basically means that it is bypassing the operating system's control of the screen and so all Windows 'thinks' is there is a solid coloured box, to which the program's video output is overlayed. That does mean though that if you try to use Print Screen with a program using overlays, you won't see the overlay.

Some system configurations have problems with overlays, and so provid you with the option of disabling them, thus forcing the programme to output via the operating system so the output is 'real' to Windows. This then does allow you to Print Screen the program, but disabling overlays comes at the expense of performance, and features like RealPlayer's antialiasing don't work without the overlays turned on.

Thus, I wouldn't recommend leaving overlay disabled, only disable them to take your screen capture and then turn it back on again.
FraserGJ

Or use a program like PowerDVD which capture straight to a file - overlay or not :)
Anonymous

Now the DVD is coming out in black & white with the colour STRETCHED :shock:

I have a screen grab but cant post it :(