Samsung E710

Dr Lobster*

I've just got a new phone,the Samsung E710. It's a nice bit of kit, good picture quality, does video, easy to use etc, but it has one thing wrong with it that I am finding seems to occur on an increasing number of new mobile phones.

Out of all the ringtones built it, this phone does not have a standard RING RING type melody. If you're in a meeting or someting at work, it's embarrasing when 'Dance of the sugar plum fairy' blurts out a full volume... there is nothing in this phone even remotely suitable for work really. Dance of the sugar plum fairy is the best of a bad bunch!

Have you got a phone like this, and does anybody know where one can obtain a generic ring ring type tone?
cat

I have the E700, the version that came out literally 3 months before they replaced it with the 710. Very tedious.

I agree on the ringtones... they're awful. I used the "Indy" one, for sheer comedy value, but eventually bothered myself to download some new ones and am now on Tubular Bells.

The phone is OK - it looks very nice, but just wish it had bluetooth.
cat

Anyway, if you're in a meeting or at work, i'd hope that you'd have the decency to put your phone on vibrate.
Dr Lobster*

I tend to put my phone on vibrate in meetings, but the job that I do means that often I am walking around in offices etc, you see.

I think the E700 in some ways is better than the E710, for instance, it E700 appears to have a 'real' optical zoom lense, while the E710 uses digital zoom, and the display on the front is colour on E700. It's plain green mono on E710. I think its more of way to cut manufacturing costs if anything!
rts

I've got the Sony Ericsson Z600 a few weeks back. I'd previously been putting up with a T68i since November 2002, which joystick packed up completely.

The Z600 is pretty good. Basically the T610 but in a flip version. Pretty good camera quality, nice screen, still visible in sunlight etc. Pretty chuffed with it myself...
MarkN

rts wrote:I've got the Sony Ericsson Z600 a few weeks back. I'd previously been putting up with a T68i since November 2002, which joystick packed up completely.

The Z600 is pretty good. Basically the T610 but in a flip version. Pretty good camera quality, nice screen, still visible in sunlight etc. Pretty chuffed with it myself...
Does it have an ordinary "ring-ring" tone though?
rts

Because it's polyphonic it sounds like one of the old landlines with the bell ringing.
Dr Lobster*

c@t wrote:
I used the "Indy" one, for sheer comedy value, but eventually bothered myself to download some new ones and am now on Tubular Bells.
Is that the one that sounds like a normal phone then somebody starts going 'hello, hello' and some funky beat sets in? I really want that tone, but mine doesn't have it!
cat

No, 'Indy' sounds like a crossbetween Superman and Indiana Jones. I love it.

The 'hello, hello' is called something like 'Cool2'. It's dire, and I'd rather shoot myself in the head than have that go off in public.