IP Difficulties :-(

cdd

Hi All

Little problem here - many sites think I'm accessing from 62.something (ip) which belongs to the whole of ntli. However my actual IP is 82.something which belongs to the virgin.net adsl server. However the majority of sites recognise the first, apart from checkip.dyndns.org which correctly recognises the second. Screenshot below for your help. Any ideas?

EDIT: that hostname on the left picture translates to 62.somethingorother, belongs to the whole ntli network. Some reason doesn't show it there. As it turns out the IP that hostname on teh left (the NTLI one) resolves to is: 62.252.0.5
Neil Jones

You are probably behind a proxy server which will usually hide your true IP address in favour of the IP address being the proxy server.

Freeserve use a proxy server albeit transparently (except when it doesn't work properly) and most sites like these are able to see past it. Other ISPs aren't so forgiving. Some web hosts (and poorly coded scripts) won't see the true IP address (your 82.xx.xxx.xx address) and will just return the address of the proxy instead (your 62.xxx.xxx.xx address) which is not helpful.
Chris

cdd wrote:Hi All

Little problem here - many sites think I'm accessing from 62.something (ip) which belongs to the whole of ntli. However my actual IP is 82.something which belongs to the virgin.net adsl server. However the majority of sites recognise the first, apart from checkip.dyndns.org which correctly recognises the second. Screenshot below for your help. Any ideas?

EDIT: that hostname on the left picture translates to 62.somethingorother, belongs to the whole ntli network. Some reason doesn't show it there. As it turns out the IP that hostname on teh left (the NTLI one) resolves to is: 62.252.0.5
As you may or may not be aware, ntl provide the backbone and infrastructure for Virgin's ISP service (they are a Virtual ISP - they do not have any actual systems or network that they own themselves).

What you are seeing the transparent proxy in action, which is forced upon all ntl internet customers, whether they are direct (ie. use ntl's internet service service) or indirect (using a VISP in your case).

Does your internet access (web browsing) seem slow or intermittent? Does your Virgin email break down every so often? Does your newsgroup service seem iffy and slow?

If so, then welcome to the wonderful world of ntl provided internet services. ;)

And another thing - watch out for the dodgy proxies. ntl's are especially so - it took lots of proxy hopping to get to the payments stage on Ebay the other day because they were so crap :evil:
Gavin Scott
Admin

Chris wrote:And another thing - watch out for the dodgy proxies. ntl's are especially so - it took lots of proxy hopping to get to the payments stage on Ebay the other day because they were so crap :evil:
Ah! Is this why I can't get to that stage myself? How do I 'proxy hop'?
Chris

Gavin Scott wrote:
Chris wrote:And another thing - watch out for the dodgy proxies. ntl's are especially so - it took lots of proxy hopping to get to the payments stage on Ebay the other day because they were so crap :evil:
Ah! Is this why I can't get to that stage myself? How do I 'proxy hop'?
Well to proxy hop, you will need 2 things...

1) Determination and an iron will (ie. this ebay payment will get through come hell, high water ot ntl's crap service) :P

2) A list of proxies, which you will find here.

Pick a proxy off the list, enter it in internet options (use port 8080) and try the EBay payments page. If the page doesn't work then try the next proxy, until you one that does work. That's all there is to it!

There's no formulas to learn, no dodgy referee decisions and nor are there any complex set of rules. ;)

If ntl actually got rid of or fixed their shite proxies then at least we would all be able to surf in peace, make our payments on Ebay easily and this game of musical caches would end. Still, they won't see sense and fix or ditch them :roll:
cdd

Aah... so my main problems is when someone with precisely the same problem as me... let's call them John - John visits a cracks site, and it says "we're sorry, only 50 downlodas per day" - and John tries proxies and for some reason it doesn't work, any way round that?

Also John wants to host a server, any way of doing that? do he need his 82.xx address to do that and will that work?

Thanks!
Stuart

cdd wrote:Aah... so my main problems is when someone with precisely the same problem as me... let's call them John - John visits a cracks site, and it says "we're sorry, only 50 downlodas per day" - and John tries proxies and for some reason it doesn't work, any way round that?

Also John wants to host a server, any way of doing that? do he need his 82.xx address to do that and will that work?

Thanks!
Just the answer you didn't want to hear - "it depends"!

Does "John" have port 80 open (for web), and does his provider permit it?

You need to check these things before you can be certain (or, if you are running XP enable the IIS and using http://82.***.***.*** from another location see if you get a page displayed (set up something specific in the default website). You also need to be certain that you have a static IP, as some providers (and virgin adsl seem to be in this group) assign different IP addresses to the same computer at different times (dynamic IP).

Hope this helps

Stuart