Recorded Videos Transfer to DVD

malcyb

I am thinking of getting a DVD Recordable Player. Can I ask you experts a couple of questions on transferring over my own recorded VHS tapes please?
1 - What DVD Recordable player is best to buy for the purpose of transferring old VHS Video recordings, my own, over to DVD Discs?
2 - Should my standard VHS Recorder be ok to do this transfer or do I need a specific VHS Video Machine?
3 - Please tell me the best way to connect the two machines up in order to transfer.
Many Thanks,
Malcolm.
Cheese Head
Banned

Probably, they're all the same and the best connection to your DVD-R from your VHS would be scart. Unfortunatly, youll need a DVD-R with two scart sockets. And input (Your VHS) and an output (to your tv). Of course you could connect with a standard RF cable, but the quality would be much greater via scart.
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
SteveL

Cheese Head wrote:DVD-R
There are actually two formats, DVD+R and DVD-R. For video, I'd say DVD+R is actually better (albeit dearer), but I think most of the recorders you can get now will accept both types of disc.
Cheese Head
Banned

Whats the difference?

I never knew that it was actually something different. I started to read it and i thought you where going to mention R and RW...
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
malcyb

Thanks very much Mark and Monsieur Tete-Fromage
Stuart

Wherever possible use a dvd-recorder and vhs player that both have an s-video connector.

Most scart use only composite, and you lose a significant level of bandwidth this way.

Unfortunately, most standard VHS will not have either a fully implemented scart (ie the s-video connections are not connected), or an s-video output.

Most of the video recorders that do are s-vhs, which are more expensive (but will normally play standard vhs).

Hope this helps

Stuart
malcyb

Thats great, thanks Stuart.