MySQL/PHP different servers, same usernames/passwords

Big Brother

Hey,

I'm working on a clients site which has a forum installed on it. They also have another section of the site which is connected to the forum to share the usernames and passwords - however they don't operate from the same table of users. The forum runs a script which transfers the users information to the other service. So that both services run with the same usernames & passwords.

Sadly the client has had some problems and a way to resolve this is to split the service. And low and behold it's the forum and the sites other service. Both sections of the site will be owned by different people - effectively it's a franchise, but that leaves me with a huge headache.

Both of these services are to be on completely different servers with two completely different webhosts. Is there anyway I can get a script running or something to that effect which takes the users from the forum table on Server A to Server B with minimal effort from the two site owners.

I'm not a huge PHP/MySQL expert , I can work with it but my programming skills are quite poor and would be great if anyone knew if this was possible or a way to do it?

Please let me know, it would help me so much.

Cheers
Ian.

PS. It's all quite complicated in why it can't be on the same server etc etc. Both people have very different plans and aims for their two sections but want to unify it under the same name etc.
Neil Jones

Big Brother wrote:Both of these services are to be on completely different servers with two completely different webhosts. Is there anyway I can get a script running or something to that effect which takes the users from the forum table on Server A to Server B with minimal effort from the two site owners.
I foresee two issues:

1) To be able to do this, one would need an actual web address for the MySQL database that is accessible from outside of the space it's running from. Say, mysql.hostaddress.com or whatever. If you don't have this then it's quite likely it won't be possible.

2) Even if there is an actual web address for the database then its pretty much certain that it's only going to accept modification/reading instructions from the local domain and even then only with the password and username. It would be a pretty big security risk I would have thought if a a database could be edited in this way outside its "home". It's even further complicated by your statement that the two databases in question are on entirely different web hosts which may mean different PHP versions, different MySQL flavours and even a different variation of Apache. Not even to mention whatever the various hosts disable for security reasons or even run in safe mode.
Big Brother

Neil Jones wrote:
Big Brother wrote:Both of these services are to be on completely different servers with two completely different webhosts. Is there anyway I can get a script running or something to that effect which takes the users from the forum table on Server A to Server B with minimal effort from the two site owners.
I foresee two issues:

1) To be able to do this, one would need an actual web address for the MySQL database that is accessible from outside of the space it's running from. Say, mysql.hostaddress.com or whatever. If you don't have this then it's quite likely it won't be possible.

2) Even if there is an actual web address for the database then its pretty much certain that it's only going to accept modification/reading instructions from the local domain and even then only with the password and username. It would be a pretty big security risk I would have thought if a a database could be edited in this way outside its "home". It's even further complicated by your statement that the two databases in question are on entirely different web hosts which may mean different PHP versions, different MySQL flavours and even a different variation of Apache. Not even to mention whatever the various hosts disable for security reasons or even run in safe mode.
It's got it's own domain. The both hosts use the same version of Apache - which doesn't really have anything to do with it, MySQL remarkably is the same.

It doesn't matter, I've found some information about this and how it can be done.

Security isn't a huge problem either, it's covered. lol