The Easter Weekend

nwtv2003

Well as we are rapidly approaching what has to be one of the worst weekends of the year, any Metropol'ers doing anything decent? As I find this very hard to pass, it is so boring, 3 Bank Holidays, a load of closed shops and a reduced public transport system! I have the fun of working on Saturday, I usually work on Sundays, but I get the day off due to Easter, I wouldn't be bothered, but I lose a decent day's worth of pay and I can't make it up, which has pissed me off. Plus I have loads of IT Coursework to get complete, something that I will do on Sunday.

Anyone doing owt decent? Or leaving the country, as 2 Million people are.
Aston

I'm kinda leaving the country - going to Wales! Really looking forward to it actually, seeing my grandparents in Swansea, mum and dad to join too, so will be good to see them also.

It's funny how much I can't wait to go - I think it's because I don't get much of a chance to see my grandparents in their home and it reminds me of being a kid during school holidays - it was great. I really love the beaches and scenery around the Gower and Mumbles coast line, so I'll hopefully be going for a walk around there at some point.

My grandfather even offered to meet me at the station to help me get a cab, bless him. I said the offer was kind, but I'd be able to find my way fine!
rts

My friend's mum owns a restaurant and it is his birthday so we're having a mask themed party/dinner. Should be good.

Coincidentally, the BBC were based there as one of the areas for their local election coverage last year.
Ed Hammond

I, too, am going to Wales, to visit a mate who lives near Caerphilly. An evening in the pub is on the cards for tomorrow night, while Saturday will be a big up night on the tiles, and no mistake.

Then on Sunday I'm coming back. And Monday... well. The joy of no work for four days!
tvmercia

nwtv2003 wrote:... I find this very hard to pass, it is so boring, 3 Bank Holidays, a load of closed shops and a reduced public transport system! I have the fun of working on Saturday, I usually work on Sundays, but I get the day off due to Easter, I wouldn't be bothered, but I lose a decent day's worth of pay and I can't make it up, which has pissed me off...
yes, well young man, when you leave school/VI form and start working past 3pm then im sure you will be very glad of these (almost) universal holidays.

i still maintain we are hard done by when it comes to bank holidays - i think we are owed a couple more when you compare the UK wit other countries.

i, personally, would make st georges day a holiday in england (st davids day in wales etc), and throw in a few extra holidays to make an even spread throughout the year.
TVDragon

Aston wrote:I really love the beaches and scenery around the Gower and Mumbles coast line, so I'll hopefully be going for a walk around there at some point.
What excellent taste your grandparents have in choosing where to live, the Gower is a fantastic part of the country for scenery. And I wouldn't happen to be biased either.

I think the UK is three bank holidays behind the EU zone on average, and there is no 'national day', though Ireland have St Patricks. The mad nationalists in Wales will make 1 March a bank holiday if they ever hold power. So they reckon.

You will all be *thrilled* to hear I shall be spending far too much time visiting members of my family, in the arse end of beyond all over the country -- so that I don't have to do it again for at least another four years. Excitement.
dvboy

Heading to Kay's Midlands for a week with my parents.
Marcus

tvmercia wrote:yes, well young man, when you leave school/VI form and start working past 3pm then im sure you will be very glad of these (almost) universal holidays.
Unless, of course, you get a job in TV news, where Bank Holidays make very little difference to your working day!
James Martin

Or radio! I don't think I'm on air on May Day though....
dvboy

I am

May Day doesn't exist at the University of Lincoln.
nwtv2003

CraigF wrote:nwtv2003 - same here. I have loads of ICT coursework too. Are you doing a spreadsheet project?

Anyway, I'm kind of lucky. Our tutor is so friendly and nice (which still doesn't convey his nature) that he put our Monday 19th April deadline forward to the Wednesday. The User Guide only then has to be handed in the following Wednesday. But that would only take about an hour anyway.

This weekend, I'm just going to feel sick from the chocolate and eat nothing else as usual.

God my life is sooo boring. Why are so many people going to Wales anyway? We have a cottage there but it is totally isolated. You'd only have the company of sheep - I think I'll stop there. It's leading onto something else! :roll:
Yup, we're doing the creating a piece of software for a friend crap, I haven't completed it yet, but I am doing that on Sunday, when there is nothing to do. Creating it on Excel is easy as I have started it, but it's all the paperwork, I still have to do the Implementation, Evaluation and the User Manual, which I have started. We were given the 2nd April as a deadline but our teacher took loads of paternity leave which really fucked us about, but he said that he will give us until after Easter as he has to mark alod of Maths coursework too.

I am so glad I am not taking ICT next year, I am very, I mean very fed up with it! :evil:

I haven't bought any Easter Eggs but I have ate loads of chocolates, I went to Morrisons today and bought loads of the American style white chip cookies, bought loads of chocolate from the stand by the till and bought some Dairy Milk with Shortcake Biscuit Ice Creams, which are really nice. We popped into Asda later and they still have the 3 Eggs for £4.00 offer, and there were people buying 12 at least! The weird thing was they were only Dairy Milk eggs. I am never keen on the eggs, I would rather eat the chocolate bars that come with them.

Though I am working tomorrow, which will waste a good 9 Hours! Plus 8 hours pay, so it's something to do.

We also had loads of fun today as my sister bought a DTT STB, she being convinced that it would work with an Indoor aerial, the best we had with it was the MUX that held The Hits, TMF, FTN etc but otherwise there was nothing, she is going to return it tomorrrow. I did try it with a TV downstairs with an external aerial and it was very good, BBCi on Freeview is a hell of a lot faster than what it is on NTL! Plus there are loads of Text services! If it had Paramount, Plus and Sky One, I would get rid of NTL as it is good.