Fuel: Supermarket vs BP, Shell, Esso, Jet etc.

tvmercia

this has been pissing me off for a while, and after seeing that car thread i thought i might as well ask.

in the past i have never payed too much attention to fuel prices - and only bothered to use sainsburys/asda/tesco filling stations when ive been shopping. After a long period of using BP, so i get my nectar points, i foolishly filled up with diesel at asda.

i swear there is a difference in quality. i am definitely having to stay in lower gears for longer - so either im getting fatter, or asda's diesel is significantly lower grade than that of BP.

the irony of it is, locally, the supermarket fuel is no more than 0.2p cheaper (and in some cases the same price) as BP, shell, jetl etc. does anyone know whether i am talking absolute rubbish - or does the quality of fuel differ?
TVDragon

I'm sure I have enough nectar points now to buy a small island -- although when it comes to it, they'll probably only be worth half an argos shower curtain, disappointingly.

I don't understand about diesel, all that curly light business is just too much to think about, but petrol definitely smells different from asda. And it does go faster when the tank is half full.

I'm sure there's a conclusion in there somewhere.

And weren't petrol prices about this mark when all that madness happened a few years ago?
Nick Harvey
God

If you do a fortnight's grocery shop in Safeway and pay over £150 for it, their petrol or diesel is 20p off, that's about 58p a litre. At that low a price, who cares if it's a bit poorer quality.
Anonymous

I get most of my petrol from BP or Tesco. But why is there always a queue at Tesco for petrol? Especially on a Friday afternoon preceeding a bank holiday?

It's like the nation panics if there's a bank holiday. They go mad at the checkouts (7 people queuing per checkout, and my local Tescos has 24 checkouts!).

My car is a 2 litre, so petrol never lasts very long in my car - although it's rather good. 33 MPG around town and 38 on the motorway.
andyrew

I used to put in Sainsbury's super unleaded in my car, but realised that it was only 97 octane and full of shit, and my car manual said it prefered 98. I put BP Ultimate in (97oct), and boy, there was certainly a noticable differnce in performance with the car. I then did some reasearch and found that Shell Optimax has the highest octane level in the UK, over 98, and generally better quality fuel than standard or super unleaded esp. supermarket stuff.

I only put in Optimax now, and it really is good and I'm sure most people would notice a difference in performance, as well as economy. Price wise it's not too bad, depends where I fill up, but between 79.9p and 82.9p /litre. I recon I get 3-4mpg more than I did with supermarker super, it runs smoother and has go in it when you put your foot down.
Anonymous

Hmm...

This is all news to me. I thought all petrol was the same.

I filled up my car with £15 of Tesco unleaded earlier today, and it was the first time I've been on the motorway and opened the new car out.

It seemed a bit sluggish at first (reminded me of a diesel), but when she reached 4000 revs and was doing 60mph in 4th gear, I went up to 5th and BLOODY HELL she can shift!

I'm gonna fill my car up at the BP garage down the road from me next time I need to, & see if it makes any difference to the performance of the car. I certainly wasn't dissapointed with her today, although as I said she was a bit sluggish during acceleration from roundabouts, junctions etc.
tvmercia

Jamez wrote:...although as I said she was a bit sluggish during acceleration from roundabouts, junctions etc.
i think pulling away from junctions and islands is where you notice it most - quite annoying when you're driving in town.

from personal experience, and purely a subjective, unscientific opinion is that tesco is not as poor quality as asda diesel. never really had a full tank of sainsburys, so couldn't really give a fair comparison.

does anyone know if there is information about the quality of fuels aside from the obvious "bp ultimate is amazing" "shell diesel plus is fab" marketing sites?
Gavin Scott
Admin

tvmercia wrote:does anyone know if there is information about the quality of fuels aside from the obvious "bp ultimate is amazing" "shell diesel plus is fab" marketing sites?
'Which?' Magazine has no doubt done such a comparrison. Perhaps they have a website.
cwathen

I did know that supermarket fuel was generally of lower quality, but didn't think it was an issue unless you had a higher performance car - I thought my 1.1 Rover Metro would run pretty much the same on anything and so always filled up at with ordinary Sainsburys ULS (whose forecourt in Plymouth seems to be permanently busy irrespective of the fact that they have about 20 pumps).

I did try Premium Unleaded today (still at Sainsburys) whilst I was at work and there was a noticeable difference - not in performance where there is absolutely no discernable difference but fuel economy is noticeably better, to the point where I'm pretty much on the point of always using premium fuel because I think in the long run I'll end up spending less.

Might try a tank of Shell Optimax next.