Smoking in Public Places banned in Ireland

What effect do you believe would a ban on smoking in public places have on British pubs and clubs?

Positive
71%
Negative
25%
None/No opinion
4%

Total votes: 24
MarkN

I noticed today that Ireland will become the first country in Europe to ban smoking in public places (as seen <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3565899.stm">here</a> on BBC News). I am sure that other Governments, including ours, will be taking a keen interest in the results of this "experiment", but what are your views?

This board has discussed smoking a couple of times in the past (<a href="http://www.metropol247.co.uk/forum/view ... 3">here</a> and <a href="http://www.metropol247.co.uk/forum/view ... 1">here</a>). I am a non-smoker, and so would probably not be affected negatively by any anti-smoking legislation, but what do the other members of this board think? If you do smoke, would you think twice about going to a pub if a ban were introduced? Does smoking add to your enjoyment when you are out with friends? Would a public smoking ban help you to give up? Please give your opinions.
MrTomServo

California has had that law on the books for nigh on 10 years now, and (not being a smoker anymore) I think it's pretty great. I don't mind having a separate area for people who choose to smoke, though, and think that's probably a better solution than preventing them entirely from smoking in public.

Plus, some argue, it saves on medical costs down the road for people who work in smoky restaurants and bars. And if they're going to an NHS doctor or hospital, then that could save you money as a taxpayer.

markyboi

I like the idea of going to a bar or a club and not coming home smelling of smoke and breathing hours of other peoples smoke.
markyboi

I do see the other side though, but im lazy and meh, cant be arsed fleshing out my point lol
James Martin

I hate smelling of smoke whenever I go out and I would not be adverse to seeing such a ban be introduced here in England. My night out is so much better when it is smoke-free too - whenever I come back from my local I end up stinking of it.
johnnyboy

As a smoker, I would welcome it. Another place where I can not indulge.

Plus, as many smokers do, I started smoking after trying them a few times in pubs and clubs. Had that not been open to me, I would not have took up this awful habit. How many others would this be the same for?
Pete

Well it depends what "public place" defines. If they were to ban it in the street say I'd totally be against it.

I disagree with them though, mainly due to the sheer hypocracy in place here. They have a legal drug here and then ban it in places. Bars and clubs should be allowed to choose whether they are non-smoking or not, government should not interfere with stuff like this.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
MarkN

Hymagumba wrote:They have a legal drug here and then ban it in places.
Tobacco may be a legal drug, but I think that it's obvious that many members of the Government want it made illegal. However, such a move would be highly unlikely in the near future because of the backlash that such a move would cause. So what do they do instead? Make it as difficult as possible for people to smoke (imposing high duties, smoking bans etc.).
MarkN

BBC News has released a new article about the smoking ban in Ireland:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3577001.stm
The long-awaited and controversial smoking ban in workplaces in the Irish Republic came into force at midnight.

Anyone caught smoking illegally in pubs, restaurants and other enclosed workplaces across Ireland will now face fines of 3,000 euros ($3,650).

The new laws - described by Taoiseach Bertie Ahern as "landmark legislation" - are the toughest in Europe.
It seems that there are some people in Ireland who believe that the law will be unenforceable, and that they will lose trade. Is it really true that the majority of smokers <b>must</b> smoke in a pub to enjoy the experience?

Do you think that the law will be difficult to enforce, considering the number of pubs in Ireland?

Is a fine of EUR 3,000 too harsh?
Gavin Scott
Admin

As soon as the government start to look at the appauling (and by every definition FAR worse) pollution from cars, they can have a word with me about smoking a fag in an air conditioned pub.

The hypocracy is astonishing and insulting.
rts

As a smoker myself (although at a much reduced rate than before), I would quite happily embrace a public smoking ban, but with pubs having an area for smokers. I still believe it is my prerogative to be able to unwind with a beer and a fag on Friday night, but also am realistic enough to know that smoking is a rather unpleasant, smelly habit, and that smoking in most public places can be easily avoided.