Smoking in Public Places banned in Ireland

What effect do you believe would a ban on smoking in public places have on British pubs and clubs?

Positive
71%
Negative
25%
None/No opinion
4%

Total votes: 24
Cheese Head
Banned

Hymagumba wrote:
Cheese Head wrote:I also roll over
notes that one down for future use.
Im happy I didnt add "I also play dead".
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
Stuart

One thing which nobody has appeared to consider in making this (in my view unwise) decision is that this may cause more problems in the longer term.

Think about it - many people smoke more when drinking, partly to reduce the amount they drink. Give it a couple of months in Eire, and see if the number of arrests for d & d, drink-related assaults etc increase... Also look at the number of drink-related injuries coped with by the hospitals..

I expect them all to increase significantly.

If this were introduced in the UK, with the restrictive licensing laws, and the "drink as much before closing time" culture, this would be significantly worse.

BTW NL is trying to restrict sales of cannabis to Dutch citizens only!!!

Stuart
James Martin

Well that's another topic altogether - the licensing hours need significantly extending. Pubs till 12 midnights and clubs till 3am
marksi

many people smoke more when drinking, partly to reduce the amount they drink
I have never heard this suggested before.
Stuart

Right, as a smoker, I know that I drink more when not smoking, than when smoking (its the "something to do with your hand" syndrome).

As for extending the opening hours, whilst I am in favour of them being more flexible, there may be problems associated with this.

Here in NL, for example, many bars do not open until 5pm now. (I believe that the majority of the Gay Bars in Amsterdam do this). This makes going for a drink a bit of a lottery.

Stuart