Home networking

BlackCat

Hello there, this is my first time posting on here (I've come from TV Forum) and I already have a lengthy problem:

I am currently seeking to connect my two home computers (one on Windows XP, the other on Windows ME) with one another, in order to share files, peripherals, and the broadband connection that is currently delivered to the Windows XP machine. I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem (it has no ethernet connector), and the Windows XP machine has a built-in 10/100mbps Network Adaptor (the Windows ME machine has none, but has spare USB and PCI slots).

As far as I am aware, this is the hardware I will need to connect them:
* A network adapter (USB or PCI) for my Windows ME machine
* A switch or a router
* 2 Category 5e cables - one to connect each machine to the switch or router.

Now, my question is this: because I am only going to connect two different computers to the network, do I really need a switch/router? And, if I do need one, which should I choose, a switch or a router? I am a little concerned that my USB-only modem may prevent me from using a router, which I have been told is the better option for sharing broadband connections.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks,
BlackCat
Martin

Hi, welcome to the site.

I have 2 pc's networked together simply with the one ethernet cable going direct from pc to pc. I've got an ntl usb modem which is connected to my main pc and through the network settings it shares it with the laptop. My main use for the network is to share files and I came across the capability to share the connection purely by chance.

Not sure if this is of any help but just to let you know it is possible without a router.

Martin
BlackCat

Okay, thankyou, just a couple more questions:

Would using a router have any benefits over not using a router?

Would a Cat6 cable provide any benefits over a Cat5 cable?
Neil Jones

BlackCat wrote:I am currently seeking to connect my two home computers (one on Windows XP, the other on Windows ME) with one another, in order to share files, peripherals, and the broadband connection that is currently delivered to the Windows XP machine. I have an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem (it has no ethernet connector), and the Windows XP machine has a built-in 10/100mbps Network Adaptor (the Windows ME machine has none, but has spare USB and PCI slots).
The modem will not have an ethernet connector because it's not meant to be connected to one. It has to be connected to your machine, in your case to a USB port.
As far as I am aware, this is the hardware I will need to connect them:
* A network adapter (USB or PCI) for my Windows ME machine
* A switch or a router
* 2 Category 5e cables - one to connect each machine to the switch or router.
If you are just going two computers together and don't plan to connect any more, you don't need a switch or a router. Just get a length of RJ-45 cable (otherwise known as crossover cable, comes in various lengths) and that will work wonders.
Now, my question is this: because I am only going to connect two different computers to the network, do I really need a switch/router? And, if I do need one, which should I choose, a switch or a router? I am a little concerned that my USB-only modem may prevent me from using a router, which I have been told is the better option for sharing broadband connections.
As I say, you don't need a switch or a router but if you plan to add more than two computers to this network (ie, have a total of three or more) then a switch/router would be handy.

Your USB only modem will be adequate. The broadband aspect is meaningless; think of sharing two computer as like having two browser windows open at the same time and surfing from both. The modem will cope. You can quite easily share one broadband connection between two computers, I myself have two computers and they share one 56k dial-up connection AND both can use it at the same time with no issues so you shouldn't have any problems...
BlackCat

Thankyou for that.

Every website I go on has a plethora of RJ-45 cables, and no matter what I do I can't find the price of the one I truly need (15m). Where can I find what I need?
DJGM

Neil Jones wrote: Just get a length of RJ-45 cable (otherwise known as crossover
cable, comes in various lengths) and that will work wonders.
Not quite. An RJ-45 network cable is not otherwise known as crossover cable. RJ-45 actually
refers to any network cable with plugs on either end just like the ones shown in this picture:

RJ-45 cables come in various colours, but crossover cable is usually yellow.
BlackCat

Where can I find one online?
Martin

Not checked but Maplins is usually the best place to look for that kind of thing.

Maplin.co.uk
BlackCat

No, it's not there either :(
Big Brother

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk

Cheap cheap cheap! I get all my cables from here. It's fab. They've provided all my networking cables and the huge telephone cable that runs to our phoneline (That cables about 30m i think)
fusionlad

Interesting thread to me, as I'm trying to set up 2 pc's together for my Dad's business.

So can I confirm, that if you only have 2 pc's connected together, then something like this is ideal?