Home networking

Martin

fusionlad wrote:Interesting thread to me, as I'm trying to set up 2 pc's together for my Dad's business.

So can I confirm, that if you only have 2 pc's connected together, then something like this is ideal?
Yes, exactly what I use.
fusionlad

Ok cheers.

So once there is the physical connection, is there anything left to do? I used to play with a small network a long time ago. I think I remember how to share the printer etc. Will the other PC just show up in 'My computer'?

Or is there an idiots guide somewhere on t'internet?
Neil Jones

fusionlad wrote:Ok cheers.

So once there is the physical connection, is there anything left to do? I used to play with a small network a long time ago. I think I remember how to share the printer etc. Will the other PC just show up in 'My computer'?

Or is there an idiots guide somewhere on t'internet?
Both computers have to have the same workgroup name.

Once that's done and when everything else is done, you should be able to see the other computer in Network Neighbourhood (Win9x) or "My Network Places" under XP. Or whatever ME/2000 calls them :)

Point being that the other computer won't be accessible in My Computer by default unless you map it, an exercise which, if the other computer isn't on that often, is pointless. :)
fusionlad

ta ;)