Portsmouth scheduled for demolition

Jenny

If only.

But no, it's The Tricorn that's getting pulled down. The Tricorn is ace, and I think anyone who doesn't like it should be drowned in boiling oil.

malcyb

My!!! what an ugly building!! Very worrying that you think this is an ace building Jenny. Anyway, good to hear it is being pulled down. At least someone in charge has seen the light!
cwathen

We've got a bit of a cleanup going on down here in Plymouth too, with half the back end of the city centre and a large car park (admittedly ugly as hell) being pulled down. Why though they also have to 'develop' a major roundabout (which was only put in 40 years ago), causing 18 months of chaos to both pedestrians and motorists alike as the roundabout stops being a roundabout and become a straight through road (and apparently will eventually become a T-junction, and I can't even see that's going to work), and one of the city centre's major subway routes is demolished I don't know.
martindtanderson

Now Trafford Centre, thats what I call a nice Shopping complex.
DJGM

:shock:
What a feckin' eyesore that thing is! And to think people called Manchester's Arndale Centre ugly!
That monstrosity in Portsmouth is fugly by comparison! The demolition ball would be a blessing!
Gavin Scott
Admin

I agree. Its pug fugly. It could only possibly be useful as a location for the new Dr Who series, and not without a digital touch up here and there.
cwathen

Gavin Scott wrote:I agree. Its pug fugly. It could only possibly be useful as a location for the new Dr Who series, and not without a digital touch up here and there.
What, they're not going to stop doing 9/10 'location' scenes in a disused quarry up the road from TVC are they?
Bail

Oi you Jenny that thing is awful I know I live in Pompy and the title of this thread is rather disconcerting. Despite its numerous bad points it does have some redeeming features the near completed Spinnaker (4years late) Tower, Gunwarf Quays etc.

The Tricorn is at best something you can laugh at, eg how on earth did anyone ever thing it was good, it looks exactly the same now as it did when first built. Its actually Britain's 3rd ugliest building, but the other two have already been knocked down pushing it up to number one. However I'm not sure that anyone who does not live there, or close really can give their opinions as you don't have to live with it.

Although the plans for a "temporary car park" on the site once demolished are rather worrying. But its eventually going to be a (nother) shopping/cars/housing complex.

Still its going now, and I was there, I've even got meself a bit o concrete.
nwtv2003

martindtanderson wrote:Now Trafford Centre, thats what I call a nice Shopping complex.
It is probably the best shopping centre in the UK, as it is all under one roof and it hasn't fallen into decay like other shopping centres, though consider the fact that it's only been open since 1998.

Shame about Portsmouth really, I mean in the 1960's it probably looked great and it was a good idea at the time, but they have let it fall into decay, they have let graffiti go all over it, plus consider it is made from concrete which doesn't help.

Though a shitload of shopping centre's are having the same things happening, like the Manchester Arndale, it was only last week they erected the first pole for the new bit, though most of it is completed it is very nice, though busy, which is the only downside.

There's going to be a change in Warrington pretty soon. As TV Dragon knows we have *infamous* Golden Square Shopping Centre, which was built in the 1970's which isn't bad really, as it isn't made from concrete, it's actually made of bricks! Which is rare. It isn't too bad inside, it's needs a bit of matinence, but otherwise it is in good shape. But what they are doing this year is that they are pulling down the Bus Station which is conjoined to the centre, though the bus station has fallen into decay as it smells and they haven't kept up with the whole matinence to the place. But they're replacing it with a load of new stores and 3 story Debenhams, which was confirmed last week. They're only doing this as....

- People have ditched Warrington for The Trafford Centre and I can't blame them
- The Bus Station is a shit/piss hole
- Warrington Borough Council want some money

But I don't see how it's going to work as they can barely full the whole Golden Square complex as it is, as within the last year Virgin Megastore and Dixons moved out of there due to lack of trade and there are loads of empty stores, so God knows how they are going to fill them.

Though we don't have such a bad Shopping Centre, we have an awful Market, which smells, it's dirty and there are loads of Pyramids on the roof.
Adders

martindtanderson wrote:Now Trafford Centre, thats what I call a nice Shopping complex.
I'm sick of the sight of the Trafford Centre - It does my head in.
It's visible from my bedroom window.
After you have been there 30 + times in one year it gets boring
nwtv2003

Beeb2 wrote:
I'm sick of the sight of the Trafford Centre - It does my head in.
It's visible from my bedroom window.
After you have been there 30 + times in one year it gets boring
If you live close I bet you're sick of all of the traffic around there. Plus it doesn't help that in the Summer they are opening a huge B&Q Warehouse, if the area wasn't big enough, as within that area there is:

- The Trafford Centre (200 shops, 20 restuarants, 20 Screen cinema and a Car Park for 10,000 places at least)
- A huge Asda
- A Huge Costco
- M60
- A retail park with a KFC, McDonalds and a couple of sofa stores
- The Ship Inn, Pub and Hotel. It was a traditional pub but it got pulled down a few years ago
- B&Q Warehouse
- Hotel, don't know the name, but it's backed by Manchester United
- (I think) Travel Inn
- Golf Complex
- JJB Indoor Football Arena
- JJB Gym (I think)
- Offices

I do feel sorry for anyone who lives in those small terraced houses by the M60 on 'Trafford Boulevard' as I have never seen that road quiet for a few years now.