Portsmouth scheduled for demolition

DJGM

nwtv2003 wrote: The Trafford Centre (200 shops, 20 restuarants, 20 Screen
cinema and a Car Park for 10,000 places at least)
Sometime next year, there'll be a big new John Lewis store, in place of the now axed "Festival Village" section.
As far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) but they've already started building the new John Lewis store.
nwtv2003

DJGM wrote:
nwtv2003 wrote: The Trafford Centre (200 shops, 20 restuarants, 20 Screen
cinema and a Car Park for 10,000 places at least)
Sometime next year, there'll be a big new John Lewis store, in place of the now axed "Festival Village" section.
As far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) but they've already started building the new John Lewis store.
Yup, they started last year all of the Festival Village is now gone which is a shame, as they lost many things, they lost many original market style shops, though they wern't great they had to close them. Plus they also closed Burger King, the 900th UK McDonalds and a Muslim Prayer Room. There is now no access if you want to park at the Festival Village end.

Though I've been in the John Lewis at Cheadle and frankly I don't see what's so special about it.
Ben

Jenny wrote:The Tricorn is ace, and I think anyone who doesn't like it should be drowned in boiling oil.
Well it certainly has/had a lot of character, but bloody ugly all the same. It would be better if they had a clearer idea of what they are going to replace it with. The plan is to use the site as a temporary car park. Makes sense I suppose, replace one car park with another. :roll:

They make some great building choices in this city. They build the tricorn which became Britain’s ugliest building, a couple of decades ago they had a design competition for a tower block, then had to pull it down because of a design or construction problem that left it with a damp problem. The latest development is the Millennium Tower, sorry Spinika Tower they missed the Millennium deadline :roll: and that looks bloody ugly too. :P
Adders

nwtv2003 wrote:
Beeb2 wrote:
martindtanderson wrote:Now Trafford Centre, thats what I call a nice Shopping complex.
I'm sick of the sight of the Trafford Centre - It does my head in.
It's visible from my bedroom window.
After you have been there 30 + times in one year it gets boring
If you live close I bet you're sick of all of the traffic around there. Plus it doesn't help that in the Summer they are opening a huge B&Q Warehouse, if the area wasn't big enough, as within that area there is:

- The Trafford Centre (200 shops, 20 restuarants, 20 Screen cinema and a Car Park for 10,000 places at least)
- A huge Asda
- A Huge Costco
- M60
- A retail park with a KFC, McDonalds and a couple of sofa stores
- The Ship Inn, Pub and Hotel. It was a traditional pub but it got pulled down a few years ago
- B&Q Warehouse
- Hotel, don't know the name, but it's backed by Manchester United
- (I think) Travel Inn
- Golf Complex
- JJB Indoor Football Arena
- JJB Gym (I think)
- Offices

I do feel sorry for anyone who lives in those small terraced houses by the M60 on 'Trafford Boulevard' as I have never seen that road quiet for a few years now.
To make matters worse I live near the fire station and nearly every night the police are out in numbers heading into Trafford Park.
Bail

Portsmouth High Street is amazing its got a bit of everything, although it was interesting when I walked along to see the old BT shop had become a huge Ann Summers...

If (after you hit the lamppost outside Sport & Soccer) you had continued, walking left at the roundabout you would be come face to face (still can at the moment or going to print) the TRICorn. :P
all new Phil

I was providing managerial cover at UCI Trafford a few months ago.. it was weird leaving the Trafford Centre at 2 in the morning. Won't be sad to see the Festival Village go - well apart from the shop that has the guy sat in the window who everyone thinks isn't real.

As for Warrington - I seriously hate that town. Again I've covered at UCI there, and driving through Warrington is like driving through a foreign country. Not sure why. Everyone who lives there can't decide if they're Mancunian or Scouse. It well and truly is hell on Earth.
nwtv2003

Phil wrote:As for Warrington - I seriously hate that town. Again I've covered at UCI there, and driving through Warrington is like driving through a foreign country. Not sure why. Everyone who lives there can't decide if they're Mancunian or Scouse. It well and truly is hell on Earth.
Are you sure you're not talking about Runcorn?

I hate to sound like a snob but we live in South Warrington (Well Stockton Heath to be precise) and it is very nice, the only downside being that there are hardly any good shops, then thats when we have to go into hell for the good shops.

I am not too keen on the UCI there, it is a bastard to get to, plus it's the only cinema in Warrington, it is easier getting to Cineworld at Runcorn from where I am! Plus when going to UCI, I hate going down Cromwell Avenue, there are far too many roundabouts! Though I was walking to Morrisons today, even though it is a Bank Holiday and there are no buses, the traffic was congested both ways! What's so bleeding special?

Though when I went into town with a friend on Monday, we went past the shithole, sorry the Market, there were posters promoting 'The Staffordshire Pot Festival' and I can say that there were loads of disappointed moshers.
cat

I wish to nominate the small community of Deeside, and associated ASDA superstore (one of the giant ones, with a McDonalds and opticians inside), for the Worst Place In Britain Award.

The other day, home from my university studies, I was asked for a light by one member of a pair of what can only be described as the worst examples of Slapperdom I have ever seen in my entire life.

Upon replying "sorry, don't smoke", one wittily retorted with "faggot". My reply being "slag", her's " 'e ar..."

I walked off at this point, but frankly the combination of ASDA, Deeside, and a couple of slappers, has left me pining for the simpletons of East Anglia.
Katherine

They need to do something about Portsmouth and Southsea station - it has all the character of congealed blancmange.....
Pilgrim Hospital Radio, Boston, Lincolnshire - Monday - Friday 19:00 - 22:00.

The place where broadcasting careers begin!!

Image - BADGER BADGER!
Gavin Scott
Admin

CraigF wrote:
nwtv2003 wrote:I hate to sound like a snob but we live in South Warrington (Well Stockton Heath to be precise)
I live within a 10 mile radius of you - so watch out! ;) :twisted:

But of course, it would be foolish of me to reveal my location. You never know whose lurking on these boards.
Space aliens? ;)
TVDragon

nwtv2003 wrote:I hate to sound like a snob but we live in South Warrington (Well Stockton Heath to be precise) and it is very nice.
*get you*

You people need to sort out your parking arrangements there though -- too many cars, not enough space.

Warrington isn't so bad. Really it's a collection of smaller towns -- some a lot nicer than others. Not the worst place in north Cheshire. But god, look at the competition.

Deeside however is vile. Wrexham, the north Wales coast -- they're just full of misfits from the northwest of England.