Kate Bush - A true music legend!

Snu

This women is amazing…

I forget how wonderful and absolutely mad she really was until I saw one of her videos on Magic earlier. She has one of the most distinctive styles pop music could probably ever allow. She really is quite fab! and the music is so lovely (some of it kinda scary, the video with her dancing and all the masks in ‘Running up that hill’ still freaks me out)

So feel free to post your finest memories of this legend of crazy pop. With her even more crazy voice!
I say it only because I'm good looking...
dvboy

How can you compare?

They are both fabulous in their own rights.
NEW improved BBC Sport Interactive listings for DigiGuide TV Guide.
Pete

The video for Wuthering Heights is the most wonderful piece of dance after Ison's famous curtains dance on webcam.

Those of you who can be bothered to download a 36mb MPEG of Steve's tempramental server can do so from here
http://stevel.hopto.org/files/wuthering/video.mpg
it's a sheer masterpiece of it's day. Especially the bit with the funny walk.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cwathen

An old thread, but I've only just spotted it...
The video for Wuthering Heights is the most wonderful piece of dance after Ison's famous curtains dance on webcam.

it's a sheer masterpiece of it's day. Especially the bit with the funny walk.
Yep, that video is brilliant, aswell as Kate's performance the post production which put in all those optical effects (with creative use of howlaround not seen since the original Doctor Who titles) is masterful too - and all done without the aid of a computer.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the 'other' Wuthering heights video (the version with Kate in a red dress which is actually shot outside on the moors, I think this version accompanied the seldom-play 'new vocals' version of Wuthering Heights which came out in 1986) is floating around the internet anywhere?

As for Kate Bush herself, well yep she was truly unique. As mad as a hatter, but a brilliant musician. Some of her songs had absolutely bizarre convention-defying orchestration, yet they all worked so well. The only thing I didn't so much like was that she tended to move to guitar as her main instrument in her later work and I don't think it worked quite as well. To me, her most creative (and plain best) work was always centred around her playing the piano - that was *her* instrument, I think the shift to guitar was more about her changing to a more modern and 'with it' image rather than being routed with the slightly more hybrow image that being a pianist has.

It's very unfair that she's often branded as being a one hit wonder and that nothing apart from Wuthering Heights is any good - one hit wonders do not hang around for 15 years, release 8 albums, and establish their own recording studios. Yes she did undoubtedly write some utter rubbish in her time, but then so has Madonna ('Hanky Panky', for starters), and she's certainly not branded with the one hit wonder label because of it.

I do hold rather differing views on her voice though. I don't think it was 'amazing' or 'unique' or in any way good. I think she had quite a weak voice, but was lucky enough for that not to get in the way of her success (which I do admire, as someone who also has an annoying grating voice. Looking at it objectively, things like the chorus to 'Hammer Horror' sound awful. If you hear her later work, her voice sounds much more operatic and trained - which to me suggests that she did undergo some voice training to help her stay within her range, rather than try to go far too low and high.

The voice might now be seen as a big hallmark of her work, but I think it's more a nostalgic rose tinted view to believe that her songs are better for it, when imo the voice is usually the weakest link in them.

What's she up to now? The last I heard she had more or less become totally reclusive, going for months at a time without speaking to anyone?
markyboi

Hymagumba wrote:The video for Wuthering Heights is the most wonderful piece of dance after Ison's famous curtains dance on webcam.
*Wonders what this consisted of but is sure it was good to watch*