17%
Mozilla
75%
Netscape
8%

Total votes: 24
Cheese Head
Banned

Ok, first of all, I do not want to use firebird as my default browser, I will get round to downloading it though.

I want to ditch IE not because of it so called security holes but I find it wears down after using it, like a pair of shoes.

I might get Netscape, as I think that browser supports flash, which, if memory serves me correctly, opera doesn't. I'm looking for a browser that is compatible and not skinned. (or that has an option to use a classic skin)

Then I want to remove IE and throw it in the can, along with all the junk its left behind.

Any ideas on a different browser and how to remove IE?

EDIT - Title Spelling and

I just looked at DJGM's (http://www.djgm-i.net) site because I remember alot of those "get rid of IE" tutorials, advice etc and found http://litepc.com/ieradicator.html unfortunatly "IERadicator" doesn't like XP. So, how can I get rid of it?

(For the record, I'm not anti IE geek that shudders at the words of MSIE and changes it to say M$IE, It's just become buggy and I don't like it.)

Oh, and about those shoes, I got a new pair today :D
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
Mich

Why get rid of IE for the sake of it?

I thought you were supposed to be an Internet Explorer expert!?
Cheese Head
Banned

I want rid of it because it's buggy and doesn't clear Temp Files, Cookies, History upon request. I have to download an internet washer to do it for me!
» James »
Pete

Well with regatrds to Netscape and flash - all Mozilla based browsers support flash.

Netscape 7.1 is just Mozilla 1.4 with loads of AOL garbage clagged on.

Mozilla Firebird is the most similar in interface to IE though. 0.7 is coming out pretty soon.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Cheese Head
Banned

What about opera and flash/shockwave ?
» James »
Pete

Cheese Head wrote:What about opera and flash/shockwave ?
It just uses the Netscape plugins I think. I don't use Opera as it's crap IMO.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Chris

Cheese Head wrote:What about opera and flash/shockwave ?
You will need to download them and install them seperately otherwise they will not work (and unlike IE, will not prompt you to download Flash!).

Have a look on the Macromedia website.
Chris

Then I want to remove IE and throw it in the can, along with all the junk its left behind.

Any ideas on a different browser and how to remove IE?
The truth is, IE is tightly intergrated with Windows XP, so it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to remove. Personally, it's best just to leave it alone if you don't want to use it - rather than attempt to remove it and fudge up your system.

If you are so desperate to ditch IE, then might I suggest that one gets 'ye olde' copy of Windows 95, which does not have IE so tightly intergrated or go back to 'ye ancient' DOS, which does not have IE at all.
I want rid of it because it's buggy and doesn't clear Temp Files, Cookies, History upon request. I have to download an internet washer to do it for me!
Fair enough, but you can clear the Temp. internet files, cookies and history manually or using that program. Surely it can't be that hard ?!
Davester

Flash and shockwave are available in Opera and Mozilla, just click or right click (i forgot) on the place where the animation would be and it should request a download.
Cheese Head
Banned

Fair enough, but you can clear the Temp. internet files, cookies and history manually or using that program. Surely it can't be that hard ?!
It also doesnt clear everything it says it will, like recently visted sites.

Another reason is that even though i use a basic alternate browser built on IE, (set as default) clicking on "1 new email message" pop up in MSN, it opens in IE.

Ok, So I've narrowed it down to Mozilla or Opera. Whats the publics verdict?

And is there any safe way to remove IE from my sytem? I went into the control panel and all that does is removes acsess to it, so I assume MSN would still open it up.
» James »
MarkN

I prefer Mozilla over Opera (I actually use Firebird, but you've already ruled that one out...).

Why I think Mozilla is better:

1. Better at rendering pages produced to W3C standards (don't worry about this if you don't understand)
2. It's free (so is Opera, but only if you want to put up with ad banners!)
3. It's Free (dual GPL/MPL just about, except Talkback of course) - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
4. Er... that's about it. Anyone want to add to this list?