The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Pete

It's because most people are gormless and have no clue about graphic design. All stores say you're not meant to go off plan.

Course then they don't send in updates when prices change and don't make signs for certain things, however unless places have someone who can mock up signage that actually looks official then shite like this appears.

Plus they then fail to put the corporate font on the computers meaning you have to rely on arial.

Thankfully I have the staff in the store I work in trained to either ask me to make signs, or at least use calibri. I'm getting there.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Andrew Wood

bilky asko wrote:I walked past the recall notice for Fruit Shoot in Tesco today, and I noticed light blue SELs for the missing juice - are they used for anything else, or for only that specific purpose?
You're right - they're for 'EPWs' - emergency product withdrawals.

Info on the back of the label tells the replenishment staff what action to take with any stock they have - ie whether it's fit for sale, if it has be to destroyed and claimed for, or held back awaiting further info.

Just because there's an EPW label, it doesn't necessarily mean that no product should be on display as only certain date/production codes may be affected. In the case of public recalls, however, all products are destroyed regardless of whether it's fit or not (at the expense of the supplier) to ensure nothing is sold that could be potentially dangerous.
Andrew Wood

Pete wrote:It's because most people are gormless and have no clue about graphic design.
Oh yes.
Plus they then fail to put the corporate font on the computers meaning you have to rely on arial.
More usually Times New Roman where I work...
Thankfully I have the staff in the store I work in trained to either ask me to make signs, or at least use calibri. I'm getting there.
I stand behind them pointing out how crap it looks, then take over.

Tesco's own font is on the internal PCs, but the word processor is Ami Pro running in what looks like a Windows 3.1 environment.
cdd

Well I don't understand the sign I saw on so many levels. Someone felt the need to spell out that you shouldn't wear "inappropriate clothing". But given that they don't explicitly say what clothing is inappropriate or appropriate, it is left to the reader's common sense. Given which, WTF is the purpose of the sign?

Also, isn't it the job of the security chap near the entrance to give people in inappropriate clothing the brush?

Is just anyone allowed to put up these signs or are they meant to get managerial approval? Because if a manager approved (or worse, produced) that crap Tesco is doomed.

I seriously thought I had competition for my own amusement (putting up unprofessional laminated signs like that in city centres, supermarkets, hotels etc and seeing how long they last) on seeing that one!
WillPS

Noticed Tesco have dropped their long-standing advert bed music. Certainly makes their ads feel that bit fresher; can't help but feel they should just go the whole hog and drop the "every little helps" tagline and be done with it; of course the fact it is literally plastered in huge letters across the front of all their recent stores doesn't help.
Finn

Tesco have managed something of a mis-step in Manchester.

They're close to completing their new Old Trafford Extra store (opens late this month) and it came out in the local news last week that they were seriously considering putting in a planning application for a gym on their mezzanine level.

Aside from the question of who would go to the gym at their supermarket (and, of course, whether they would Value, Standard and Extra special Memberships), they were also pretty stupid to not think people would complain when discovering this: the new store is being built right next to Stretford Sports Village (which, of course, includes its own gym).

*facepalm
WillPS

Doesn't seem like a bad idea to me at all. Plenty of people stop by the supermarket most nights after work.
bilky asko

I hear the 24-hour gym at Hull St. Stephen's is popular - it's not far from the Tesco Extra.
wells

It seems Tesco has replaced it's Simply Cook range with Fresh and Easy, the name of it's failing US chain. I don't believe it's the first time they've used it on products over here. So I don't know what the idea is, it's like they feel as if they've got a really good brand and logo, yet don't know what do with it.
Pete

The Fresh & Easy ready made mash is frankly excellent.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
wells

Pete wrote:The Fresh & Easy ready made mash is frankly excellent.
I hadn't realised they'd changed that too. I must agree with that statement though, I went through a period of getting that all the time when it was under it's previous guise.