Sainsbury's: Try Something New Today

johnnyboy

cdd wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:Don't wish to be picky, Mark, but "Try something new today" is an imperative sentence.
Would perhaps have been nicer had they not put their slogan in the imperative tense
Post CDDCOM approved.

My bad.
MarkN

cat wrote:Returning to 'Good food costs less at Sainsbury's' would perhaps have been a better choice.

It's simple, catchy, captures the main themes: good food, lower prices, everyone remembers it because it was so iconic for years, and it's associated with a time when Sainsbury's were doing well.

I know they always say forwards not backwards when it comes to advertising, but I think that would've served them better.
From http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/artic ... _page_id=2
He [Sainsbury chief executive Justin King] has asked his marketing team to come up with a new tag-line that retains the quality message, but also emphasises low prices. Indeed, when he joined, King said he was impressed with 'Good Food Costs Less at Sainsbury's' - a slogan that was dropped under pressure from advertising watchdogs.
Pete

I like Everybody's Favourite Ingredient
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cat

MarkN wrote:
cat wrote:Returning to 'Good food costs less at Sainsbury's' would perhaps have been a better choice.

It's simple, catchy, captures the main themes: good food, lower prices, everyone remembers it because it was so iconic for years, and it's associated with a time when Sainsbury's were doing well.

I know they always say forwards not backwards when it comes to advertising, but I think that would've served them better.
From http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/artic ... _page_id=2
He [Sainsbury chief executive Justin King] has asked his marketing team to come up with a new tag-line that retains the quality message, but also emphasises low prices. Indeed, when he joined, King said he was impressed with 'Good Food Costs Less at Sainsbury's' - a slogan that was dropped under pressure from advertising watchdogs.
So he wanted something that talked about the quality of their food, and their lower prices.

And they came up with something that mentions neither.

He must be so proud.
nidave

Brad wrote:The two branches of Jacksons near me are being rebranded as 'Sainsburys at Jacksons.' What a waste of time... either they are Sainsburys or they are not? :roll:
In the NE they bought all the bells stores and rebranded them Sainsburys at bells.
There was a reason saying that people were happy with bells and wanted to keep the lyal ciustomers or some marketing twaddle. am sure the * at bit will dissapear sooner rather than later.
Nick Harvey
God

'Er indoors picked up a few things in Sainsbury's today and, I see, they've now got the new slogan under the word "Sainsbury's" on the receipts.

Trouble is, it's scribbled in longhand and looks as if it's been written by one of those seven-year-old TV Forum members.
Sput

Of course, with the recent supply woes that Sainbury's have had, telling us that we should be "trying something new today" is a superb way of throwing us off the fact that "we don't have what want today"!
Knight knight
Col

One of the Jacksons stores in Hull has also been converted into a Sainsbury's at Jacksons, however the one near me in Goole is still a Jacksons, but has lots of Sainsbury's-style promo posters outside.
cwathen

Sainsbury's is about to embark on a multi-million pound rebranding in what it says is one of the biggest shake-ups in its 136-year history ... The new image will be unveiled in a minute-long TV advert at 2245 UK time (2145 GMT) on Monday featuring chef Jamie Oliver offering tips on how to make meals more exciting.
I love the way that they are embarking on a 'multi million pound rebranding' and it will be 'one of the biggest shakeups in it's 136 year history', but they are essentially keeping the same advertising campaign (Jamie Oliver) and have merely changed the slogan.

Someone (I forget who) once observed that constant rebranding and anal attention to rolling it out signifies a business in trouble - perhaps they are right; there are still a few Tesco stores around with 1970's brown and red signeage outside and 1980's beige and red interiors with signs written in a dodgy serif font, yet they are still firmly on top.
I've just been to Sainsbury's prior to knowing the above. Outside was a large banner proudly suggesting I "Try something new today"
Since this slogan came out, my local Sainsbury's has had a banner outside declaring that 'your new look store will be ready soon' - despite there being no evidence of any work going on. Perhaps it's their answer to WM 'Safeway? Who the fuck are Safeway' Morrisons up the road opening their 'new' store (i.e. changing the signeage outside of Safeways) soon.