Scottish independence

barcode

Ladbrooks are give 11/2 for a Yes vote just now... ( down from 6/1)

There also have 2/1 for salmond to step down either way of the vote...
WillPS

Just woke up. I had predicted 57% No.

Thank god that's over with.
scottishtv

Yeah, he had his chance and he muffed it last night.

That came back to haunt quickly.
bilky asko

WillPS wrote:Just woke up. I had predicted 57% No.

Thank god that's over with.
I think too many people took that YouGov poll seriously - Yes were never going to win.
scottishtv

bilky asko wrote:Yes were never going to win.
I'd have to disagree. Yes had loads and loads of non-party activists on the ground. My street and hundreds of others are covered with Yes posters in windows, people have been wearing Yes badges everywhere you go in Scotland, and there's always been the suggestion in conversation that if you weren't voting Yes you lacked courage or ambition for your country. Whilst some of the policies seemed outlandish at first, they've been 'normalising' them for over 2 years so suddenly people started to believe it was all easily possible.

That poll suddenly made it seem very real and the momentum could've snowballed. Just this morning on the BBC One Scotland programme, Douglas Alexander (organiser of the No campaign) said he felt that weekend that the No campaign was 'winning the arguments, but not the campaign'. The facts were there but the emotive appeal and herd instinct was kicking in for a lot of undecideds. That's when the UK politicians sat up and paid attention and started finally shifting the news agenda and putting the spotlight onto Yes. And it worked.
martindtanderson

I just hope that the decisive nature of this campaign will end peacefully, and the anti-English feeling does not persist in the North.

Also Alex Salmond needs to resign, as well as the rest of the front bench (or the Scottish equivalent). Caretakers should come in to run the country, and along with the rest of the UK in 2015, the Scottish people should be asked to vote in a General Election.
barcode

Its now out of the box, and its clear some people are not going to let this go if there get screwed further.

I'll be honest, If the turnout of this level continue, we could a get another vote sooner rather than later...

Both sides could have done alot more.....
Charlie Wells

barcode wrote:Its now out of the box, and its clear some people are not going to let this go if there get screwed further.

I'll be honest, If the turnout of this level continue, we could a get another vote sooner rather than later...

Both sides could have done alot more.....
Worth noting though that David Cameron in his speech said...
Because now the debate has been settled for a generation or as Alex Salmond has said, perhaps for a lifetime. So there can be no disputes, no re-runs - we have heard the settled will of the Scottish people.
Full speech: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29271765

It'll be interesting to see how high the turnout percentage is come the next general election. An 84.59% turnout for the Scottish independence referendum is certainly impressive.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
barcode

David Cameron speech has already been denounce by many, and it clear he has not fully understand anything.
This issues HAS NOT BEEN "resolved for a lifetime", This vote has open a can of worms and its not going anywhere, Westminster has six months and if nothing happens were heading for a blood bath at May elections, If people cant see the high passion running about, then you going to hit a brick wall rather fast.

If people wanted to be cause trouble we could see SNP taking seats, which could result in SNP - Labour colation in Westminster... NEVER rule that out, Labour needs that 41 odd mp to get back into power. David, Nick and Ed are weak Twits, all three of them did NOTHING to get this no vote.

NO vote won because of a few reason:

* Gordon Brown; His passion become clear and he still the better leader out of David, Nick and Ed, and history will prove this.

* Sir Alex: Alot of people hated him, I mean really hated him. He did nothing to join everyone together. It should have been Nicole who was the head of YES.

* There was no clear vision for a "YES" vote, I've heard from plenty of yes people, the left hand never know what the right hand was doing. On so many issues, you had two different views being made, ie some said we'll use the pound, other said na, were have our own currency etc. How can people vote for something no one actually know what the end result will be.....

YES could have won this. One wonder if Glasgow turnout was at the same levels as else where ie 85% Glasgow might have carried it.
scottishtv

Your first paragraph is completely wrong. People may be upset about the result right now, including a number of friends and colleagues of mine, but a 10pt lead is decisive. Also, the campaign machine which fuelled the anger of a lot of activists will be switched off now, the rhetoric about 'Westminster elite', 'metropolitan media' and 'bairns not bombs' will stop because it's been rejected at the ballot box. Scots will get back to normal and the passion will fade.

I think the real interest from the electorate will be in the rest of the UK. Backbench MPs with their own agendas are surfacing and setting the cat amongst the pigeons about the UK constitution. It's a bit of a frenzy today, but there needs to be a more 'settled will' outside Scotland now we've settled this debate for a long time.

I genuinely don't think there's a big demand around for more powers for the Scottish Parliament. I'd be surprised if much of the electorate could tell you what's already devolved and what isn't.
Square Eyes

Salmond out Sturgeon in.