What do you want from the Upload Service?

Pete

FACT ATTACK: The Metropol Upload Service has now been running for 1 year, 9 months and 6 days

In that time we've had 3323 files totaling 3333.3MB uploaded (average file size = 1MB), with bandwidth averaging at about 26MB a day.

The "up" subdomain has used 16GB of bandwidth in its time (which happens to be exactly twice that of the forum itself).

The most active user is davidlees followed by chie, bail, gav and beep. Busiest day is a Tuesday, quietest is a Saturday, and the most popular tag is "news"

And so, you may ask, aside from the fact that the disk usage stats are are on a fab number today, why am I mentioning all this? Well very simply, we want to know what we can do better.

I'm going to leave this quiet open ended but we'll be working on a new version (version 4) of the site over the next few months and we want to know what the other users find good and bad about the site and what they'd like.

There's also the issue that some things are obvious to myself and Sput are not obvious to others. Bail for example didn't realise what the tick/cross button was for until the other week. Do you know about the automatic thumbnail generation? Do you realise you can upload five files at a time?

What do you want to see for the next version, have tags been a failure? If so, why? Should others be able to tag your stuff? Did the autotag system cause more trouble than It was worth?

So please do let us know about the yays and nays and wants, because there's no way of knowing unless you tell us.

PLEASE RESPOND, here, or on the other site.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Beep

It would be nice if there was a small preview of the files on the uploaded list, like a JW player. Other than that I think the uploader does it's job very well and is fine as it is.
Sput

A what now?
Knight knight
Jovis

I think selecting multiple files (with CTRL or shift) would be handy.
Beep

Sput wrote:A what now?
Rather than pressing the file link, you can press a play button and hear a sample of the file using JW Player perhaps.
Sput

Ohhhhh you're talking about things other than images. I see. Interesting...
Knight knight
Pete

If we were to do samples would we not have to then autotrim each MP3 as they came in to make the preview? And given that most links are from the other site would it get major use without a rather large increase in profile / tag browsing?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Jamesypoo

Pete wrote:If we were to do samples would we not have to then autotrim each MP3 as they came in to make the preview? And given that most links are from the other site would it get major use without a rather large increase in profile / tag browsing?
I don't see the point in just doing a preview of say an mp3 file. Why not just have a flash player to play the file in full on the side panel?
Sput

Sounds eminently doable
Knight knight