Sainsbury's: Try Something New Today

johnnyboy

Don't wish to be picky, Mark, but "Try something new today" is an imperative sentence.
Philip Cobbold

I work at Sainsburys and this is the first I've heard of any of this. I assume that all this rebranding will involve removing all traces of 'Making Life Taste Better' from around the stores, which will take quite some doing, as it appears everywhere. Considering profits are still down, I think they could do with saving money in places, instead of spending more on something that is entirely superficial.
Spencer For Hire

It's really quite a patronising slogan isn't it?

My response would be 'I'll try shopping at Tesco's then.'
Pete

yes but think about it.

Birds Eye is to be sold off because supermarkets are cramming too much own brand - high margin - stuff into their freezers. Go into Tescos and try and find half a dozen brands of an item.

Sainsbruys appear to be focusing on choice - although their offers are less flashy they have a bigger range of stuff in their store.

Mind the nearest one to me is the one in West Monkseaton which is sod all use
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Brad

The two branches of Jacksons near me are being rebranded as 'Sainsburys at Jacksons.' What a waste of time... either they are Sainsburys or they are not? :roll:
"That one!"
J.Christie
Banned

I just laugh at Tesco with their Price Check. They prove themselves that some things are more expensive than other places.
cdd

johnnyboy wrote:Don't wish to be picky, Mark, but "Try something new today" is an imperative sentence.
Would perhaps have been nicer had they not put their slogan in the imperative tense
Post CDDCOM approved.

Boughton

nodnirG kraM wrote:I of course meant "case" not "tense". Sorry all!
I think you'll find it's actually the "imperative mood" rather than "imperative case"....
Luke-H

So, did anyone see the ad then? I did, and if I hadn't have read this thread, I wouldn't have thought anything had fucking changed at all.

Same Jamie (twat) Oliver.

Same Orange.

Same logo.

Different slogan.

If they were going for a rebrand, they could've changed the colour and got rid of the Pukka Fukka.
cat

Returning to 'Good food costs less at Sainsbury's' would perhaps have been a better choice.

It's simple, catchy, captures the main themes: good food, lower prices, everyone remembers it because it was so iconic for years, and it's associated with a time when Sainsbury's were doing well.

I know they always say forwards not backwards when it comes to advertising, but I think that would've served them better.
Boughton

nodnirG kraM wrote:It's the imperative rather than the nominative or accusative cases.
No - it's a mood, not a case - look it up: Chambers Guide to Grammar and Usage (1997), p. 31 - 'Mood is one of the categories by which verbs are described and classified ... the word mood comes from Latin modus meaning 'way' or 'manner' ... e.g. whether the word is being used in a statement, as a command, or to express a doubt or possibility ... There are three moods of the verb in English: the indicative, the imperative and the subjunctive ... The imperative mood is used to express commands: Leave that alone!'.

'The subjunctive mood is used to express doubts, wishes, etc: if that be the case, God save the Queen'.